• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

does smoking affect your diving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dhu

Oct 6, 2004
hi all!
i'm still getting into serious freedive spearfishing and i haven't got anybody to go with[bring on the violin!]. i only mention this because as is understandable it makes me rather cautious in how deep i can go and for how long etc. my situation is this. i've been shallow water spearing for roughly 15 years on and off, mainly river diving, maximum depth probably 10m, but nowi want to get more serious and go deeper. i smoked pot for a couple of years about ten years ago and i'm wondering whether this would have any impact on my freedive potential? i feel like i need to breathe soon as i get down to the bottom, thought this may be because i haven't been wearing a good enough wetsuit and get cold quick. 'm aware that maybe as i'm only now really starting to go deeper, i will need to press on through the urge to breathe and the convulsions and all that. i've read all those books that talka bout shallow water blackout, and i gess now i'm overlyconscious of it. dry static i can probably only go about 2 30-300 at this point. that should mean i could go down to say 15 m and stay there for a minute or so right?
anyone?

Hi dhu,
I'd recommend having no dive longer than a minute total or come up at your first contraction, whichever is longer. When you get an experienced buddy that knows how to handle SWB, then consider extending yourself beyond that with close supervision if you so choose at that time. Spearfishing is different than competitive freedive because of the distractions and somewhat unpredictable energy expenditure requirements, so don't confuse that performance technique stuff with spearfishing technique. There is a clear difference. SWB usually gives no indicating sign and is unforgiving without someone right there to catch you. Go to a good clinic if you can.
Mark

Oh, yeah, about the smoking thing. It's my understanding the lungs clear in about 7 years of no smoking so yours ought to be back to normal by now. The need to breathe feeling is probably more related to your level of relaxation than anything else. If you are weighted correctly, streamline your dives, relax properly on the way down and back up, and most importantly get lots of water time so you are really comfortable, you will find your bottom times lengthening naturally. There are lots of very experienced guys on this board and I'd suggest using the search function to research specific things that might affect your development or interest. Posting questions directly works, too, but sometimes using the search engine is faster and provides more complete answers quickly, depending on your question. Anyway, welcome onboard.
Mark

cheers!
yeah i think maybe i just need to spend more time in the water. until recently my times have been limited to about an hour due to cold but this should all change with my new wettie.
dhu.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT