• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dogfish scampi

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

podge

Always Hungry
May 16, 2006
A quick and simple one this if you can be arsed to skin the fish which is a right pain.

Get yourself a couple of dogfish from your local reef and after skinning take out the single piece of cartilage that runs down the length of the fish.
Cut your fish into scampi sized pieces and dip in fresh lemon juice, roll in beaten egg and then in seasoned breadcrumbs. Fry them off until golden brown and jobs a good un.
Enjoy with a crispy salad or fried potatoes with fresh tartar sauce and a crisp dry white wine.:)

One day I'm going to have to try dogfish. I catch it all the time and normally just get annoyed, but I'll do the whole washing the skin in white vinegar and lemon juice and see what I think of the meat. I know you guys love it over there in the UK but here in the US no one eats it (unless they're foreign).

Reactions: podge
Don't really get dogfish here in the Gulf of Mexico. Plenty of blacktip sharks that grill up nicely. Lemon juice helps remove any taste of the uric acid - sharks don't pee they eliminate from the skin. I also make sure any blood line is remove as that will taint the flavor. Blacktips are a blast to catch on H&L. Never shot one though--against the regs as they are considered a "game" fish by TPWD.

Last edited:
The dogfish over here don’t get that big, a good one would only go a couple of pounds and not that many spearo’s shoot them as there are considered an easy target.
I take the odd one or two as my kids do like a little bit of Scampi and it does go well with chips.
You know what they say “if its fried then it must be good for you”.:):):)

Reactions: agbiv
The dogfish over here don’t get that big, a good one would only go a couple of pounds and not that many spearo’s shoot them as there are considered an easy target.
I take the odd one or two as my kids do like a little bit of Scampi and it does go well with chips.
You know what they say “if its fried then it must be good for you”.:):):)
you don't need to shoot the dogfish grab the dogfish with you hand that is what i do they are good to eat i like them :friday

Our blacktips can get big but usually only .5 - 1 meter in length. They will fight hard and sometimes jump!

Last edited:
Our blacktips can get big but usually only .5 - 1 meter in length. The will fight hard and sometimes jump!

I’ll tell you what mate it didn’t half make the one I shot jump when my spear tickled its ear.roflrofl

I’ll tell you what mate it didn’t half make the one I shot jump when my spear tickled its ear.roflrofl

AFAIK thaey are one of the few types of "shark" that can turn behind and its tail/your hand.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT