• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dome Port

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I hang my camera off the back of my float and was worried about it scratching when I went over shallow rocks, or get nicked by my fish stringer and water bottle that are dangling off of it.

In my car the get wrapped up in a towel with a seperate fleece cap to protect the lens.

Jon

Hey guys - a little tip a mate taught me once before... over here, you can get a thing for your car windscreen called "rainex"... it puts a film on your windscreen so that when it rains, it just beads off... if you put this on your lenses, when you do the over unders, the water will bead straight off. It'd probably help out for stuff like that sea lion video too.

Just got some more shots with my lens today. It really works amazingly well for those split level shots.

Jon

Last edited:
Here's a shot of some students getting ready for their first ice dive.

Jon

Last edited:
Another one.

Jon

Last edited:
One last one.

This one I like because of all the crazy fin reflections going on. The fins that you see under the water aren't even in the picture, they're too far below my lens. Instead, you see their reflection off the surface above where they should be.

The hole and the surface make for the best pictures in ice diving- all of the other photos look just like any other dive. By freediving it I can move into position much easier than if I had a tank on and I also have no bubbles to mess anything up.

Jon

Last edited:
When I started freediving I've always had an interest in ice freediving. I think it would be a blast!!

I was out with my father-in-law who was teaching. I ended up helping the students into their gear and clipping them into lines, plus untangeling them once they were in the water. New ice diving students are in such a fog that they didn't even realize that I didn't have a tank on until 20 minutes into their dive- while I was taking pictures fo them on the bottom.:D

My father-in-law, and the other instructors who I have taught with for years, thought I was nuts a looong time ago.;) Some of the other divers just said, "Oh, I see your snorkeling again today.":head I reminded them of that fact after they only lasted 15 minutes while I stayed in all morning. :D

The one thing people seem most amazed about, besides the normal freediving stuff, is that freediving wetsuits can be so warm. They all wear drysuits because they have no idea how warm a proper wetsuit can really be.

Towards the end of the day someone commented on how they didn't want to make a second dive becasue it was too much hassel to put all of that stuff back on just to go look at the bottom of a lake. That pretty much summed up my whole argument for freediving right there.:cool:

At the end of the day I just swung my bag over my shoulder and walked to the beachhouse for lunch, while the rest of them started to load up their tobogans full of crap to make the long haul back to their cars.:D by time they made it to the beach house I had already had seconds and was starting on dessert.

Freediving kicks butt!:martial

One last picture of my dive buddy, who should be sending me some photos to post in the next day or two. Ted was supposed to come, but there was a mix up in the time- there really is a difference between departure time and island time. Sorry buddy, next time.

Jon

Last edited:
Absolutely super! Those ice diving shots sure are eerie! Don't you feel claustophobic with only a little hole to aim at? I like the split levels alot---my next toy in a few months. I've already spent on a mono and the casing.

adrian

It's so open down there, and the vis is usally much better than in hte summer time, that I don't feel claustrophobic at all. Also, since we are freediving, it's a lot like deep divng along a line in the summer time, so there's not that much to get used to.

The only time I feel a little claustrophobic is when there's a few divers floating in the hole talking and I am looking to see where I am going to come up. :confused:

jon

Last edited:
Ted came out today and we both shot some stills, and videos with our cameras.

On the way home we decided that a wide angle lens really makes a big difference in underwater photography, but the dome port is a bit more specialized for extreme close-ups and these split level shots.

Jon

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT