• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

don't feel the need to breathe

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dhu

Oct 6, 2004
i've heard that once you become well practiced at freediving you get to the point where you don't really feel the need to breathe that much, and surfacing becomes more of a choice rather than a felt necessity. anyone?

I don't know if that happens, but if it does, it probably isn't a good thing!

It is important to know your limits, and how close you are to them.

Lucia

cheers lucia!
i thought that sounded a little redicluous after reading all that i had, but still i guess there may be some truth in it. depends where you're coming from i suppose. it's all relative. for someone who has ben in the sport for ten years and regularly goes down to 25m for 1 1/2 min, i guess that at 15min and a minute into it they probably wouldn't feel the need to breathe all that much. thanks for stimulating the thought,
later,
dhu

You can learn to postpone the breathing reflex a lot with training, but I don't think you can get rid of it all together.

With really experienced divers, it's not that they don't feel the need to breathe, they simply learn to tolerate and ignore it. Therefore you still feel it, but you know you can still stay down a bit longer. Reaching this means really knowing your limits though.

Of course there are individual exceptions. Some people have weaker breathing reflex than others. I'm sure there are some that have allmost none.

it's kind of a mental thing...when you're down, taking in all of the oceans beauty...breathing just seems to slip your mind. So its more of a figure of speech than really forgetting to breath.

Originally posted by StretchArmStron
it's kind of a mental thing...when you're down, taking in all of the oceans beauty...breathing just seems to slip your mind. So its more of a figure of speech than really forgetting to breath.

Thats exactly what has made me want to give it a go! Ive spent just a few days on the barrier reef and off key largo, and it blew my mind.
Tried scuba, but found it real irritating with all the gubbins u have to lug around. Straight away i prefered chasing fish and going down to where the divers were, just snorkling.
Yep - forgot about breathing straight away tbh! Was so gobsmacked by everything.....although did panic a little when i realised i was 5m down without thinking about it!
I figure if i can get to the stage of being able to spend 3mins + swimming around down there, theres little point to scuba!
I'm sure someone will tell me otherwise.....;)

Who know what else i'll get into from there!

...theres little point to scuba! I'm sure someone will tell me otherwise.....

...not on this forum :D

regarding feeling the need to breathe, the only people i know of who don´t get the need to breathe black out.

roland

Originally posted by dhu
i've heard that once you become well practiced at freediving you get to the point where you don't really feel the need to breathe that much, and surfacing becomes more of a choice rather than a felt necessity. anyone?

If you change the word 'becomes' to 'feels like', i think you will understand what many freedivers seem to describe. Yes, you still have to come up for air, but you have more control (and therefore, responsibility) to when you do decide to come up for air. You can take what I say witha grain of salt however, I've only been to 7m so far...

Re Dont feel the need to breathe

Its all a question of relavance. When I am down, deep, relaxed and happy then the need to return to the light and air becomes secondary to the experience. You will join all the other souls in the sea...if you choose to. But you dont and you come back to the air and feel great about your choice. For me it is all part of Freediving.

Re Dont feel the need to breathe

Its all a question of relavance. When I am down, deep, relaxed and happy then the need to return to the light and air becomes secondary to the experience. You will join all the other souls in the sea...if you choose to. But you dont and you come back to the air and feel great about your choice. For me it is all part of Freediving.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT