• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Monday was still a bit dirty in Swanage area, I hope you found some decent patches but knowing the weather you probably didn't

Anyone been out today - if so how was the vis? Thinking of heading to Lulworth or Ringstead tomorrow.

No, definitely a herring.

You should never pull the trigger on a fish unless you know what it is.

Spearfishing must be both selective and sustainable.

I have an uncomfortable phone call to make to the man in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

had a run down to the purbecks at the beginning of the week.... really patchy vis.. some areas as little as 2 m other areas up to 5 m

Managed a couple of lobsters, a fat mullet, a decent Pollock and some flatties.

sorry no pics this time as i was in a big rush...

Wow, quite a catch then! How big was the Topknot, I have never seen one quite big enough to take.

This forum looks so quiet! Is this because everybody moved to Facebook?
Lately, I have done some dips along Jurassic Coast. Last Monday night me and my buddy launched small inflatable boat in Swanage and motored it to Old Harry's Rock. Sea was calm and warm (17 C), visibility very good - 5-to 7m. Not many fish spotted. I only managed to take one 45cm Sea Bass. Saw some small flat fish and several small bass. My buddy got the same size bass and big brown crab. After 2,5 hrs we moved to Studland Bay looking for bigger flatties along the beach. Nothing was found. And the visibility under water was only 2- 3m.
Yesterday I went on my own to Gad Cliff. Sea surface was very choppy but I was surprised with very good visibility - from 6m over the weeds to 8m over stony bottom. I saw only 3 small Mullet.
Last Thursday I dove around Gad Cliff with the same result. Where is all the fish gone?

Reactions: Woohoo and foxfish
Wow, quite a catch then! How big was the Topknot, I have never seen one quite big enough to take.

The topknot was 21.5 cm... 22 at a push.

I don't really recommend for you to take any.. it was not great eating at all.. I'd choose flounder over it any time of the day and that should say a lot as I don't fancy flounder too much ( kids love it tho )

I just plainly grilled the topknot to feel it's particular taste.

Following 2 days of glorious weather I decided to try Bournemouth bay last night.. in the water for just about 3 hours . From 10.30 pm till about 1 am. Had 2 bass about 3 lb each and a similar sized mullet, 2 cuttlefish and missed on a larger mullet because it came too close lol !

Tried a new spot today lots of activity, fairly sizeable fish around, laid still in the string weed and got a bass in the bag. Just under 2lb. Vis about 5 mts, wish I had taken the 75 in to give me more range.

Reactions: Selenium
Hi Brett, well done for catching the bass but do you know your local size limit?
Where I live it is 42 cm about 3lb.

Last evening I drove to Swanage for spearfishing but found the water not diveable. This morning I went to Lulworth Cove and the water was much better - in the bay only 1,5 meters visibility but outside up to 7 meters. I mo.
6thOctober2017 (2).jpg
tored my boat to Mupen rocks and found some fish

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT