• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset 2020 - Spearfishing, diving and Corona status

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
@Fishstab Where did you get your scallops, inside the harbour or just outside? There are/were scallop beds outside Lulworth cove.

They put in an artificial reef somewhere on the south coast to create waves for surfing. I think it was expensive, was essentially a huge bag of something and, in the end, I think it did not work or did not work as well as hoped.

I see the crowds descended on Bournemouth today, hottest day of the year so far. From TV footage the beach was packed. The police have declared a "Major Incident", whatever that means. There was a high police presence in and around Weymouth; they taped off the pavement around the entrance to a shop near the seafront.

Last edited:
Estimated half a million people on the beach!
There must be a few carriers amongst that amount?

Reactions: Mr. X
@Fishstab Where did you get your scallops, inside the harbour or just outside? There are/were scallop beds outside Lulworth cove.

They put in an artificial reef somewhere on the south coast to create waves for surfing. I think it was expensive, was essentially a huge bag of something and, in the end, I think it did not work or did not work as well as hoped.

I see the crowds descended on Bournemouth today, hottest day of the year so far. From TV footage the beach was packed. The police have declared a "Major Incident", whatever that means. There was a high police presence in and around Weymouth; they taped off the pavement around the entrance to a shop near the seafront.

yeah we were about 600m out so probably just still inside the harbour, that’s where they seemed to start to get a reasonable size but was hard work swimming back with a bag full!

just had a bit of a dive down lulworth cove, visibility was probably 4m which was really surprising. I only went just outside the cove around one of these headlands and only saw one decent sized fish (which I missed haha). However had a great time just practising diving down and exploring the bottom. No scallops seen there, was a reedy bed but presumable that disappears a bit further out. Maybe I’ll go a bit further next time

Last night I recalled reading a report a year or two ago that a young "Professional scallop diver" in Dorset died diving, I think at Lulworth. Thought it prudent to mention it.

Received an email from Dorset Council this morning that included this:
"
Hospitality and tourism industry set to reopen from 4 July

Except for those considered close proximity venues such as indoor gyms, swimming pools, spas, nail salons, soft-play areas, bowling alleys and waterparks, much of the hospitality and tourism industry is gearing up to reopen. Government have updated their guidance, which you can read below.
"

New gun and fins arrived today so I can stop borrowing my mates. Unfortunately it’s been really windy recently but hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday will be a bit calmer and I’ll find somewhere to head out to in Dorset

Fishstab, I fear conditions might not be good for a while but good luck, there are often places to be found, sheltered from the worst of the weather.

Fishstab, I fear conditions might not be good for a while but good luck, there are often places to be found, sheltered from the worst of the weather.
Went out studland way this evening with a few friends and it was brilliant, vis was 3m or so which was really surprising and was the first tome I’d actually been able to see fish.

I ended up spearing 3 decent sized wrasse and my mate found a lobster. This was my first time firing a speargun in anger so really happy I got something. We’ve just finished BBQing it all up.

here’s a pic of the first fish I speared, apparently it’s a bit of a whopper!

698E58C7-2D41-4A8D-85CA-8BF1AFA46F83.jpeg

Reactions: Woohoo
I hope you make full use of those wrasse?
Most beginners shoot a wrasse but as a general rule they are not regarded as a prime eating fish and certainly not a sporting target.
However they are edible and it is quite possible to boneless fillet and skin the fish but they then tend to fall apart when cooked so most people just shove them in the oven and then realise they wont be shooting anymore!

At one time wrasse were extremely common and small fish are still quite common to spot... but The big adult 5-7lb fish are now very unusual or even rare to see.
Wrasse are one of the slowest growing fish in our waters.

Last edited:
Most beginners shoot a wrasse but as a general rule they are not regarded as a prime eating fish and certainly not a sporting target.
However they are edible and it is quite possible to boneless fillet and skin the fish but they then tend to fall apart when cooked so most people just shove them in the oven and then realise they wont be shooting anymore!

At one time wrasse were extremely common and small fish are still quite common to spot... but The big adult 5-7lb fish are now very unusual or even rare to see.

Yeah we BBQd them. Taste is pretty mild/plain but definitely worth the effort

Sorry, I know this post won’t make me very popular, but it’s my opinion so I’m going to make it anyway.

Your love of Wrasse and the dislike of people shooting them has probably been the most repeated theme on the forum in all the years I’ve been a member. Normally I find it funny and make a light hearted joke but this post is pretty annoying. I think it falls in to the category of what unfortunately has become a regular part of modern life ‘fake news’.

If you read multiple sources, Facebook pages, forums etc you will see that a huge number of people think Wrasse is a great eating fish and have absolutely no problem in shooting them. To suggest people shoot them as beginners and then never again because they weren’t good eating is a total fabrication.

Even the competitions where all the best spearos in the country come together has Wrasse on the target species list, so suggesting shooting them Is frowned upon clearly couldn’t be further from the truth.

Also, I’d like to know what evidence you have to suggest their numbers are in decline. I’ve never seen so many big Wrasse than I do right now. I regularly see several very large Wrasse swimming together on the same reef, and on pretty much every reef I dive on.

@Fishstab. If kept in the fridge for a while before cooking the flesh firms up nicely, they also make lovely sushi, sashimi, and ceviche. Don’t be guilt tripped in to thinking you’re doing something immoral by taking them. I’m sure you’ll be sensible like everybody else, and when you’re regularly catching other species your desire to take Wrasse will diminish or maybe disappear altogether. Until then, and after then if you only take a sensible number each year, you won’t be doing any harm to the species numbers whatsoever. Enjoy.

Well everybody is entitled to their own opinion and as you say this subject has been discussed many times.

Well everybody is entitled to their own opinion and as you say this subject has been discussed many times.

Of course they are, and I don’t have the slightest issue with your opinion. Lots of people have the exact same opinion as you do and that’s fine. I personally don’t like the idea of catching fish to use as live bait or as pot bait like a lot of rod fisherman do but I’m probably in the minority. Different opinions are fine.

However, saying things that aren’t true to back up an opinion is a different matter, and that’s what it seemed like to me.

No offence intended. We’re all grown ups here, people can read your post and my reply and make up their own minds.

I think it is fair to say that all sea fish are in decline, there may be some exceptions where the ecological balance has been upset and certain species can actually increase in numbers but generally speaking I think most common edible U.K. sea fish are declining?

Well anyway you have called me out in your last two post so I will tell what I think...

I don’t think I have ever once over 11000 post been confrontational with a single member at any time.... full stop. and I am not going to start now.
I don’t think I have ever once told folk not to spear wrasse but instead taken the time to explain in a pleasant or amusing way, why I would not recommend killing wrasse.
My opinions have not changed, I am simply not here to recommend to people to kill
Wrasse.
I am sure you don’t care in the least but I will tell you that I have spent many years taking it on the chin from members one way or another but I have never lost my temper or been rude in any way.

However I think my time on this forum has come to an end, there are only a few people left posting on here anyway.
I really do apologise to you and the Wrasse but unfortunately I simply can’t be assed to argue.

I wish you all the best and good bye .

No, you stay exactly where you are mate. If that’s the response from one of the moderators to the slightest bit of criticism, then it’s me that would rather say goodbye.

What is it with grown adults that can’t be criticised or are incapable of defending their view point without sounding like they need therapy? I expect it from the younger, snowflake, safe space generation but for anybody 30 plus it’s pretty pathetic.

Consider this my last post. I don’t contribute much anyway and there certainly isn’t much going on here that I’ll miss.

In my opinion, the people who eat wrasse have to defend their decision to do so, and always say they are a tasty, easy to prep fish etc, etc.
Shooting wrasse is about as difficult as putting on a hat, that’s why beginners take them.
They are very slow growing, and the larger fish may be several decades old. There is a thriving industry that catches small/medium wrasse for use on fish farms, so keeping the larger fish on the reefs is massively beneficial.

They are only really good for ceviche, and to be honest, there are much better fish for that anyway.

A few years ago I had to perform mouth-to-mouth, not pleasant. Worth getting and carrying a protective mask for the purpose - but realistically even then you are unlikely to have it when you need it :( I'm aware of 2 types: a disposible sheet type in a small packet like a condom, you can get them on key rings, the other type look like hospital oxygen masks and come in red plastic cases.

Perhaps best to avoid areas where an accident looks like a distinct possibility. I prefer to dive - and climb - in quiet areas.

Sorry to hear that Mr X. Not a nice experience.

The only time I would perform mouth to mouth is if someone had suffered a cardiac arrest from a respiratory problem I.e. drowning. If someone had arrested from something like a heart attack, I would not perform mouth to mouth as very little evidence of efficacy. The paper says someone received mouth to mouth but given the current pandemic, I would not fancy direct pulmonary inoculation hah!

I actually have something called an Igel in my car that I would insert into someone’s oropharynx if they had arrested that would negate to need for direct mouth to mouth.

Chest compressions and finding a defibrillator are the most important components for good outcome but even then an out of hospital arrest still has a very poor chance of survival.

Last edited:
Yes, our village bought a couple of defibrillators after that. Better late than never? Chest compressions are all they recommend these days - to the beat of Staying Alive or Nelly the Elephant! - if you haven't been trained but I'd had recent training. Although now, I think I would only do chest compressions; too dangerous otherwise.

I was sceptical about chest compression breaking the ribs but I looked at the patient's chest afterwards and it looked pretty collapsed in. Apparently he had an enlarged heart :(. Dead before he hit the ground I think, judging by the way his eyes rolled up as he fell. Nice chap, only in his mid 50s.

The helicopter medic had an interesting machine: a big plastic frame that clamps over the patient's chest and performs chest compressions while monitoring the patient. Very clever but too late in this case.

From Dorset Council today:
Council says thanks
Following a weekend of very few incidents across the county, Dorset Council is saying thank you to local people and visitors for helping it pass off successfully. Numbers at Durdle Door and Studland Beach were manageable and normal for this time of year and coastal towns were also busy but not overwhelmed.

The council is continuing to encourage people to ‘Shop Local’ and ‘Enjoy Summer Safely’ alongside messages reminding people to respect social distancing advice when out and about, along with good hand washing.

Dorset still has one of the lowest rates of COVID-19 in the country and Public Health Dorset will continue to monitor the situation closely as the county opens up further to visitors.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT