• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset 2020 - Spearfishing, diving and Corona status

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Just noticed the Wrasse sub-thread above. I do hope we are all still friends and active forum members.

I take the occasional large Ballan Wrasse, the smaller ones aren't worthwhile, although haven't for quite sometime. The really big ones are meaty and steak like but I've only seen them off the beaten track, around the Lizard in Cornwall. Regular large Ballan are good cubed in a Boulabaise (tomato-fish stew/soup). It tends to be a once-a-year or less treat for us, usually when there are no other fish around or/and to use up odds and ends of other fish, shell fish and crab.

I understand Foxfish's perspective, most fish stocks are under threat. Big Wrasse take years to grow and stay in the same location, looking pretty for SCUBA divers and snorkellers. All big Wrasse are male; wrasse start off as female but become male as get large - weird but not that uncommon for fish apparently.

To be honest, the recent discussions on spearfishing training classes concern me, because it suggests a level of commercialization which may not be sustainable for the marine env. Then I remember how crappy the weather/sea conditions usually are around the UK and relax some :D. I've seen it happen already with rock climbing though, where bolts and training are now common but real trad climbing has all but disappeared, "the scene" has gone.

Last edited:
I know what you mean X. If you listen to any new spearo wanting to get into the sport, the majority response is “Do a course”.
When I started, you went to a second hand shop, bought some old kit and jumped in.
You learned how to do stuff yourself or with a few mates and had a fun time along the way.

Reactions: Mr. X
Dived church ope cove on Portland yesterday evening, vis was bad and got progressively worse, current was also a bit of a pain.

Against the odds I managed to take a bass and a mullet

D7B9C285-9AC0-4301-8ED4-542B361AD9E9.jpeg

both have now been gutted and descaled ready for today (I’ll be doing this in the sea from now on!). Plan for both is to fillet and pan fry, did a bass earlier in the week which came out great. I’ve seen a lot of people remove the skin off mullet is this a preference thing or does it affect taste at all?

:) It happens. I'll be heading to Devon soon. Better pack the 95cm roller speargun and the extra, solid, float! :)

I’m wanting to hit up chesil cove in Portland at some point as I’ve heard good things.

However the prevailing SW wind puts me off from trying and I always ‘play it safe’ and regularly head to the eastern side instead.

Am I correct in thinking that chesil is only workable after a couple of days with particularly light winds (which never seems to happen!)?

I don't know about Chesil in particular but that's my general assumption, that it will take 2-3 days to clear. Depending on how strong the winds were, how much rain and run-off and how big the waves.

I wouldn't worry too much about low winds, say south westerlies under 10mph.

Mind the pipe mid- water near the south end, although I think that is a a designated bathing area now, with divers encouraged to go further north and park at the masonic car park or the "nature reserve"(?) Car park further north near the ferry bridge

Last edited:
Chesil might be the place to go this Saturday, forecast is for NE or E winds.

Reactions: liutaina81
I thinking to go to Lulworth cove
What sbout water viz is it ok if IS 3M would be not to bad for me

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I will take my girlfriend's brother for the first time spearfishing maybe for me not to much relaxing time but hopefully his gona like it:) i did dive only couple times this year looks like we have bass nr increase

No idea re. viz I'm afraid but the wind seems calm where I am (not Dorset) today. I would think Lulworth cove would be quite sheltered. I think there may be more bass about this year from what I've seen but mainly small and very small ones -- hope for the future, if they are not scooped up by the commercial fishers. Saw some really nice grey mullet though, big and very big - but that was in Devon.

Last edited:
Reactions: liutaina81
I have very nice spot in devon just i did dive long time ago like last year in summer but this year only twice in Cornwall as you know beautiful places clear watters i will try on Saturday first time in dorset normally i allways dive in Lulworth cove. I did remember than i start dive i was diving in portland just near prison it was hard job to go up hill after dive with strong currents:) [emoji2]

Dear Dorset 2020 Forum (is there a 2023 Dorset forum???),

I am new to these forums. I am one year into surfing and I think I need to learn how to hold my breath for longer to cope with hold-downs that occur in bigger waves. I am open to free-diving/snorkelling too. I live in Bournemouth and would love to meet like-minded individuals!

James :)

Last edited by a moderator:
James, feel free to create the new Dorset 2023 thread. Add your post there!

(I'm out of action at the moment, so nothing to post :( But I'll keep an eye on it and you can contact me or other staff or members if you need to. ;) )

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT