• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

1 shot 1 kill

Submarine Sniper
Jun 27, 2005
I thought it might be worth starting a dedicated thread for all the people fishing around the Weymouth and Portland area to swap locations, phots, area specific hints and tips, as well as details of all the monsters that got away. It could also be used to arrange meet-ups, buddies, boat charters/shares etc. What does everyone else think?

1 shot said:
I thought it might be worth starting a dedicated thread for all the people fishing around the Weymouth and Portland area to swap locations, phots, area specific hints and tips

Good idea, I am sure people should enjoy reading/seeing stories/photos of whats going on. I am not a 'local' but have been enjoying the Lulworth area for the last 6 weekends as you have to squeeze the summer for all it's got!

Even though we cant compete with the warm water hunting stories, I think people can understand that it does not matter where you are, if you are in the water or out, sharing the enjoyment either diving with others or even just reading posts brings in the good feelings.
:)
BR

That said, here is some 'evidence' of the initially misty weekend, that turned out just fine!

We awoke on Saturday to thick mist and the thought that diving was going to be no good...we were partly right. When we got down to the cove the mist was lifting but the wind was still pumping SW. We jumped in and immediately felt the effects of all the sea chop (and the full english) and 2 out of 4 of us began 'chumming' the water :yack (..sorry!:hmm )

We battled on and suprisingly 3 fish (1 bass, 2 mullet) were taken in next to no visibility....

....Anyway, we had fun and the evening was going to turn out nicely as you can see in pics of the Durdle Door and St Oswalds Bay. Yes we had fish that night...:p And some good effort at Garden Jenga!!!

There are 4 good sized mullet who hang out in Man O'War cove, I've had my eye on them for over a year now waiting for them to get just a bit bigger, hope you guys didn't beat me to it! Looks like it was a bit of a rough day but at least you still got a free dinner out of it.

1 shot said:
There are 4 good sized mullet who hang out in Man O'War cove, I've had my eye on them for over a year now waiting for them to get just a bit bigger, hope you guys didn't beat me to it! Looks like it was a bit of a rough day but at least you still got a free dinner out of it.

rofl
After a great day yesterday, Sunday....Mr Bass was the main guest at the party...however, on those 4 Mullet in
Man O'War Cove....I think you have 3 left...thant's more that fair isn't it?:)

BR

Struggling to find underwater camera cheap at the moment as i can't find an underwater casing for my kodak digital camera.Looking at all the pictures you've all posted and only living a couple of miles from osmington is making me feel bad :waterwork :waterwork Will try to go in tuesday night as off to isle of wight for rest of week with work playing golf with customers instead of playing fish killer.Must go in at weekend no matter what the weather is doing,just to feel the freedom of spearing.

glowworm said:
Struggling to find underwater camera cheap at the moment as i can't find an underwater casing for my kodak digital camera.Looking at all the pictures you've all posted and only living a couple of miles from osmington is making me feel bad :waterwork :waterwork Will try to go in tuesday night as off to isle of wight for rest of week with work playing golf with customers instead of playing fish killer.Must go in at weekend no matter what the weather is doing,just to feel the freedom of spearing.

Hey Glowworm.....I really rate these guys service and advice...Myself and 2 mates have bought camera and casing packages from them in the last month...and a 4th bloke I know who could not find a casing for his Canon found one with these guys..
http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/d_stills/kodak.html
P.S. the conditions according to www.metcheck.com are looking good for the weekend too!

Regards

The cases for cameras seem to have come down a bit in price since i last looked at them, might invest in one if the summer looks like its going to be good. As for the mullet at Man O'War cove, i had a big one last year (5.6lbs) so am aiming to concentrate on bass this season...

Attachments

• 5lb+ grey mullet2.jpg
    5lb+ grey mullet2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 320
No chance of getting in tonight!!!! :waterwork :waterwork suprise,suprise the wind again.Where in the world has the least wind and the clearest water and i will move there i think.I have emailed underwater camera's and have had no reply yet!!Can this become anymore frustrating!!! I will have to take out my frustration on the golf course..

Nice thread...

Curious to know whether anyone has ventured down to Mupe Rocks and can let us know what it is like down there for speargun activity.

I've always quite liked the idea of getting down there with the spearguns and have dived pretty close with cylinders and seen a fair number of fish, but having looked on a map its a long hike from the closest car parking point and the water.

Waste of time, or well worth a visit...?

Cheers

EDSAC Spearo said:
Nice thread...

Curious to know whether anyone has ventured down to Mupe Rocks and can let us know what it is like down there for speargun activity.
Waste of time, or well worth a visit...?

Cheers

Hi EDSAC, well here's a thought...I think the most of that area is good. However, on Sat morning (when it was poor vis and choppy), two of my dive buddies ventured a small way to the east of the entrance to Lulworth Cove and they said they started to see more fish and would have got some good bass had it not been for the conditions. I know this is not Mupe Rocks but is going in that direction......:hmm

Regards

1 shot said:

Hi 1 shot, here's some pics of the Sunday dives, do you recognise Mr Mullet? Perhaps he was just passing and your familiar four are still swimming the Cove after all...:) rofl

Regards

Is anyone getting out this weekend? The weather looks good, 22 degrees, light north easterlys and 0800(ish) high waters. I'm pretty miffed that i'm in Nottingham for it! Maybe next weekend....

Yep i'll be in on sunday as well but haven't decided where to go yet.I will take suggestions from the board and post report on the spot afterwards.So come on lets have some venues.

Last night the Portland end of Chesil Beach was teaming with mackerel. The water looked like it was boiling with all the fish movement. A 10 year old lad in my street caught 83 mackerel in an hour using feathers and his mate managed to land a 5.5lb bass, again with feathers.

Grab your guns. They're here.............. :p finally!!!!!!!!

Hi
I'm very keen to start freediving in Dorset and am moving to Blandford in August. Any help for contactingsomeone to help me get started? I have a bit of experience and my own kit (but no wetsuit) but am rusty. I would like to get into spearfishing sometime too.
Would really appreciate some help!

...Hi, I took a trip today with my brother to shore dive Tilly Whim....what an interesting hunting ground (and scenery)! I only managed to get there for about full low and was surprised at what I found. Firstly I noticed the lobster and while convincing him to come home with me, I noticed the school of silver flashing bass detouring away from me, never to be seen again on further downs. Damn.

Oh well, I carried on and soon shot a smallish pollack on one small pinnacle. It is a really kelpy location this Tilly Whim, with patches of stringweed around the rocks. Ah! another lobster just on the edge of a patch of gravel, another pot candidate. Then another pollack.
I started to make my way back to my exit and as I came over the top of a rock and peered down into a hole the silvery flash trying to hide...got him..
Nice place that Tilly Whim!

Regards

Well here goes.Tried to go in at newton's cove but it was just too merky so went to portland bill.Things looked good the water was clear and not too many people fishing.Visability turned out to be variable between 5 and 3 meters depending on wether i swam over rocks or just kelp.Within seconds of getting in a lone mullet swam through some string weed and ended up on my stringer.More mullet appeared soon after but i left them alone.Bass showed up too but they were all schoolies so nothing else for the pot but did help jellyfish that had it's tenticles tangled in string weed.Met a couple of other spearo's who said they shot there on saturday but the seal was about!!Can't understand the lack of fish at portland bill,very few wrasse or pollock to be seen aswell as no large bass.Hope everybody else had more luck.Didn't take any pictures of the mullet as its face fell off when i shot it!!(not pretty).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT