• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearo Diary.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ickledevil

take a breath and relax..
Apr 26, 2001
Hi all, having moved to Dorset this March to enable me to dive more often I started keeping a dive journal for me to look back on and see where I went wrong, when was good etc. Thought it might be helpful to others.. or possibly entertaining.. to see what Im writing. So here it is... Please note I have removed some of the exact details of some sites, techniques etc. If you really want to know you can always PM me but I might not tell!
Joe

Tues. March 25th. Afternoon dive on a falling tide.
Took one of the boats out for a gear shake down, first dive since I moved down and the weather has finally settled after the fun of last weeks winds. Went looking for some of those non existant shellfish with Titus. Vis was ok but not great at about 2m, diving in maybe 4m of water. Wind was blowing gently from NW and water was calm. Managed to collect a dinners worth of shellfish and missed a skate I swam straight across, to top it off lost my snorkle (being see through definately didn't help in its recovery) and the speartip. Guess I should have checked things more after not diving for nearly 3months! Oh well live and learn

Thurs. April 3rd. All day play, Low tide through to full tide.
Took my boat out for a test now I fixed the engine, light NW breeze but flat calm, went out from Castletown slip checked 4 different sites ending at Church Ope. Saw nothing on the way out but found Mullet in the cove (very shallow feeding in surf), vis was poor at a patchy 1-2m, and tide was running. Managed one a piece (nice size) also managed to swim into a gill net in the low viz. Checked some spots on our return and the vis was improving picked up a spider crab in about 3m of water and some scallops (4) in about 5-6m Made a nice day, boat stayed up and everything worked. Good to get wet.

Friday April 4th Afternoon dive LT slack and rising.
Went back to Church Ope but vis is dropping now only 1-2m Was still calm so Lucy joined me for a rest on the beach while I had an hours dip. I still hate the walk down! Saw some really large schools of Mullet same spot as last time, was searching for a gold spot but didn't see any, did get two good size ones that I'll smoke when I get back. Tide brought in a lot of crap so headed home, did see a small Bass on the rising tide though.

Saturday April 5th Early evening dive to 'Site B' took the boat which was a mistake as by the time we got sorted the tide was very low easy enough launch but couldn't get to the best spots. Checked 'Site A' on way out to 'B' full of Dog fish but nothing else, moved on to 'B' I dove a little deeper than Titus which turned out to be a mistake, he picked up 3 Bass, all around the 4lb mark! Dammit, I managed a real big Mullet though maybe 7lb Missed a bass myself on way back to the boat and left another two sitting mullet as I already have enough. Saw a few cuttlefish as well but none big enough to warrent a shot. Definately need to rethink what time we set off and the tides for the next trip.

Monday April 7th Early evening last minute dive to 'Site C' at HT slack.
Got a late dive pass from Lucy so shot out to check 'Site C' from shore, headed left in 2-3m vis loads of life about along the wall and a lot of bait fish but nothing big yet, swam to a reef and picked up two really nice flounder over the sand. Saw plenty of crabs and a conger on the reef but no Bass, saw three squid on the way back in managed to take one, not a bad size either. Decided to call it a day after 45min in the water as I'd attracted an audience of 'Chavs' who were rather interested in my car.. However a rubber clad man covered in squid ink soon scared them off!
Ate the squid when I got in.. mmmmm Smoked one of the flounder and some of the mullet which got added to a fish pie. Thumbs up from all.

Wednesday April 9th early evening dive on high tide.
Nipped out to check possible new site but vis was dire there, went back to 'Site C' and tried further round the coast. Vis had dropped to only 1.5m or so. Kept trying and swam a long way, saw plently of flatties but still desperate for my first bass so left them alone. Found a promising bit of ground for later in the year but nothing really worth mentioning yet. Cold and grumpy so headed home!

Sunday 13th April Evening dive at HT
Met with Titus to check another spot we hav't dived for ages (Newtons) Headed out and followed shore line. Vis was good at 2-4m in places lots of small edibles about too and a few big boys but forgot my bag! Was out on a mission for Bass anyway. Titus hadn't seen a thing so we were about to turn round and call it a day when I missed a nice 5/6lb bass Cant believe it! Shortly after Titus managed one of his own about 4lb. Started to head back as we were both on a woman imposed timescale and managed to shoot my first bass! Think titus spooked it but didn't spot it as it shot my way then stopped on edge of the vis, stoned him well though and about same size as titus'. Checked a bit more ground but nothing else. Only in the water an hour but a really pleasant dive. Had bass grilled for dinner with a butter and parsley sauce... was also forgiven for diving (Lucy really likes bass!)

Reactions: Jonny250
Thats it so far.. will update here when I next dive, hope some of you find it useful/entertaining. Apologies for the briefness im copying it out my journal, will try to add some more details in the new ones.
Joe

No need to apologize mate, they are great stories :)

But i wish u didnt put dates on there as DAMN u get to dive alot, my missus would have my nuts on a platter if i dived that much rofl

Keep em coming Joe

Well my dives have been due to the fact I was out of work... so had to fill my time somehow! Now employed again so guess they will be less frequent.

Reactions: stuckinsurrey
Nice to hear other folks experiences of the same ground, doesn't help when the weekend is the only time to dive and the viz is, well, toss!

Reactions: podge
that's a great journal, good to hear of fishies being caught, well done!
how do you take the spider crabs - do you use a super-large bag?

Yeah a fairly big bag and a lot of pushing usually works, mind you this one was under the boat so just got thrown on board.

Cheers for the tips will do on both. Will see if I can get some pictures of a catch (assuming I have one between now and end of April!)

Still diving and still adding the reports on my blog, hopefully you can all follow it, feel free to add comments.
Joe

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT