• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset: Weymouth Squid & Cuttlefish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Just watching a repeat of one of my favourite TV programs, Riverside Cottage (the one with the bird-inside-a-bird-inside-a...). Hugh took his staff pre-Christmas squid fishing from Weymouth (excellent -- must have missed that last time!). They were rod fishing from a boat but apparently not far out. They got some quite big ones - maybe a foot or two long.

Anybody ever see squid or cuttlefish about? I have seen cuttle fish shells on some beaches. Do you spear them? Is there anything you need to watch out for -- I seem to recall hearing that squid have a beak; the cuttle fish they caught on the program was quite feisty & tried to snap at its captors. I believe both change colour too.

You would have to be fairly unlucky to get bitten badly by a squid.
That said the beak is capable of giving a bad nip but nothing too serious.
just pull the head and tentacles away from the mantle and you shouldn't have any more trouble:)
Cuttles are usually in better supply in the warmer months when they come in close.
Squid are best attracted by light at night but can be got at all times if you are lucky, They are over gravel substrate at this time of the year.

Squid dont bite.. But be warned that they do work together and are very quick and bright.

Attachments

• Graphic12.jpg
    Graphic12.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Graphic12.jpg
    Graphic12.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: Mr. X
Squid=Kalamari in Greek....One never bit me so far. but not as big as the ones shown in the photo...so cannot tell if they bit or not...i would guess that they would ....if they wanted to....

Cuttlefish=Soupia in Greek, Sepia in Latin.... that does bite... :waterwork trust me...
Unlike the octopus which also can bite, but due to the fact that their beak is 'covered more' by the flesh does not bite easily....been bitten by some when i was little...

Cuttlefish beack on the other hand is more 'exposed' which gives it the ability to bite easier...and do bite....sometimes with quite a sharp bite....but they sure do taste good....

I have speared plenty of cuttlefish and a few squid never got bitten yet but avoiad putting figers near the beak -in the centnre of the legs just stabb cuttlies a few times above and between the eyes till they look dead then string on floatline by pushing line through the rear of the body and out through a small knife cut made at the tip of the body so they pull through the water easily.
Sqid and cuttlies are masters of disguise and colur themselves to blend into backround very well - except when they light up for defensive or mating displays.
Cuttlefish are often found hiding in small caves or under ledges you can stab them here with your gun to avoid bending spear by firing into the wall of the ledge.
if you cook them try just cutting into thin slices with some soring in cross patterns or into rings for smaller squid then rolling in flour and fry about 30 seconds to one minute -cook too long theyll be tough as.
Regards
Peter

By the way, I found a spot last year that gets cuttle fish in Spring; at least the remnants can be easily seen there & a diver friend confirmed their presence offshore nearby. He reckons they come in closer to shore to breed in Spring (afterall breeding is not at all uncommon in Spring). Is this correct? Normally it seems hunters & fishermen forgoe hunting during their prey's mating season -- so would it be close season/bad form/stupid to hunt them then? Realistically, this my best, perhaps only, bet for getting one -- but I'd rather let them breed first, to maintain stocks. [For some reason, I have a feeling that Huan will be able to answer this obscure question:)].

Are special care needed in preparation? Actually, I can probably look it up -- a friend lent me Floyd on Fish, he covers that sort of stuff quite well usually. [I cleaned a couple of Pheasant tonight (only ever done it once before) - my recent experience cleaning fish has clearly helped me overcome some of my former squeamishness!]

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT