• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Double breath record ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluecape

Apr 21, 2003
Hi all

Have just watched a programme of Guinnes world records, and saw an insert of Pipin setting a new 'double-breath' world record to 511 feet. Looked like a standard No Limits dive with sled and ascent-balloon, only he took a breath from a small cylinder on the descent. ( The bottle was mounted on the sled as I understood.)

Excuse the ignorance, but I have never heard of this catagory before, maybe someone can help me with the history of the dive. Is this a recognised event, was this dive for other reasons, was it a gimmick? Far be it from me to judge, but the idea of a 'freedive' using one extra breath from a bottle on your sled seems pointless?

Cheers

Jeff:confused:

It was an exhibition dive he did quite awhile back - more or less a publicity stunt to promote the IAFD.

From what i heard he did that here in Cayman.

I saw the picture of him at 500ft right off dive tech, a local dive center. He looked pretty happy.

Hi Bluecape

I also saw the piece during last week though i had read about it on the net over a year ago. You may have noticed that Audrey was still in the foootage. I agree that the dive must have been more for publicity than anything else. No limits divers go deeper on one breath these days anyhow than he did on two breaths then.

Whats up with your plans for FSA Capetown ?

Regards
Greg
Skin.

I was just talking to my friend Jim from Fiji today who was Pinpin's first English taught student.

Anyway he tells me that this double breath dive caused Pinpin to black out during his tries.

This didn't go too well with the Cayman government. I heard this is one of the major reasons why the courntry is not pro freediving. I really wish this country recognize the sport as a real sport. I mean Tanya was born and raised here but Cayman denied sponsership for her. She's sponsered by Caicos and Turks where I heard she has to take a boat for a long time to go deep diving instead of a 10 min swim to 6mile deep drop off point.

I guess just because you live on a fantasy island you get away from all problems.

:duh

hi

Mate is that Jim freelander from Fiji, if so I went diving with him a few months back here in Aus, say hi for me.

cheers

More info on Pipin's blackout

Apparently that blackout occurred during a scuba dive to about 60m to recover his equipment, according to this article published in 1998:

http://outside.away.com/magazine/1098/9810manfish.html

I found this article quite revealing, almost prescient, in its insights into Pipin's personality.

Originally posted by caymandiver
I was just talking to my friend Jim from Fiji today who was Pinpin's first English taught student.

Anyway he tells me that this double breath dive caused Pinpin to black out during his tries.

This didn't go too well with the Cayman government. I heard this is one of the major reasons why the courntry is not pro freediving. I really wish this country recognize the sport as a real sport. I mean Tanya was born and raised here but Cayman denied sponsership for her. She's sponsered by Caicos and Turks where I heard she has to take a boat for a long time to go deep diving instead of a 10 min swim to 6mile deep drop off point.

I guess just because you live on a fantasy island you get away from all problems.

:duh

Do not try to do the "Double Breath dive"
What no one mentions is that Pipin got seriously bent doing it.
No one else has tried since as taking a breath a depth, going deeper and then riding a baloon to the surface won't get you a recognised World Record. All you will get is to spend some time in a steel chamber or even a wooden box!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT