• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Double hoses are back!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
This is the latest from Aqualung, but at $900 rofl I think That you would be half way to your own SCR.

Jon

"Bubbles exhaust behind the diver No more bubble interference - great for photographers
Superior resistance to freeze up The second stage is not exposed to exhalation humidity
Dry Sealed First Stage and Second Stage Makes this the ideal regulator for extreme cold or polluted environments
Breathing performance is better than old style double hose regulators The benefits of a double hose regulator with better breathing characteristics
Easy adjustment of mouthpiece orientation Improves Comfort
Easy flow hose design with non-return valves Keeps air drier
Comfo Bite mouthpiece Eliminates jaw fatigue
Available in Din or Yoke
4MP ports and 1 HP port
Nitrox 40% compatible"

Last edited:
Jon said:
This is the latest from Aqualung, but at $900 rofl I think That you would be half way to your own SCR.

Hi Jon.
After 50+ years in diving, I am just amazed that US Divers/Aqualung could come out with such a piece of rubbish like this. I am sure that someone will buy one, even if it is just for a future museum piece. All I can say is that they must be desperate to corner a 'Niche' market that is not there, but they are trying to make!! The mind boggles!! $900? Buy a rebreather!!
Regards to all.
Mike.

Mike,

You'd think that for $900 they could at least put a better first stage on that thing. :duh

There is a "vintage" dive club in my area that dives double hose reg's and Co2 vest, but they only want the vintage stuff and won't have anything to do with this.

It's true that they vent the bubbles behind your head and that they don't freeze as easily as a single hose, but there are a lot of other, cheaper, ways of dealing with those problems.

Jon

if it was cheaper I'd consider getting one for the 'weird' factor. don;t have a set of regs for single tank diving anymore.....

$900 is kinda stupid though

That brings back memories, my first reg was a twin hose by US Divers, I really liked it but it was an effort compared to the Nemrod Snark II Silver I bought after it :eek:
Just out of curiosity does anyone remember Tadpole cylinders? LOL my first set up used twin Tadpoles (yes I really was that skint rofl) I think they were left over from the military or something, I dont remember. Cor! Those where the days :(

I'm typing this looking at a Useless Diver's double hose regulator sitting proudly amidst items from a well-worn time when I was a mere size Large. Back when I could fit into an unmodified SL17. :crutch

That reg could flow like a Mutha and I did like the bubble free face, but the tug of the hoses alongside my mug was always a little bothersome.

Time to go dust my MkV...

LOL we are both showing our age :eek: The hoses on mine rotted years ago so its long gone.

Dave!! Loaded???? Goodness no! The snark was £19 compared to the next best up which was either a Spirotechnique or a Typhoon at nearly £30 At the same time I bought a Luxfor 60 cu ft I cant remember how much that cost but it was a luxury compared to the twin tadpoles rofl they weighed about half a ton and ahd a capacity of about 30 cu ft between them, if I remember rightly the WP was 1500 psi probably because of the rust inside them :(

Well of course! I may be Welsh but Im not stupid ;)
It was a 4mm single lined thing that was B@@dy useless BRR I dived under ice in it believe it or not in the north wales quarries, I must have been mad rofl

AWWWW! your teasing me!
but then I did own a couple of Faralites ;) and an sos helium depth gauge :D

What it is to be so up to date!!! How I used dads longjohns to keep warm plimsoles and plywood nailed on, piece of hosepipe and coverted gas mask :duh

old dave said:
I used dads longjohns to keep warm plimsoles and plywood nailed on, piece of hosepipe and coverted gas mask :duh
So that was you I saw running down Kensington high street??

I learnt with a twin hose Mistral valve on single tadpole
bottle fitted with a rudimentary band and strap harness.
This was club equipment at the time (1968).

When I bought my first kit it was a single hose
Nemrod Snark (£15) and a 65cuft Spartan steel
cylinder (£20) and a US Divers back pack harness.

The improvement was immense so it's strange to
see retro features coming back.

However in 1968 drysuits were losing out to wetsuits
and now things have come back the other way and
most would agree that less hypothermia is a good thing.

As far as I can remember, tadpoles were ex aircraft
oxygen bottles so probably already old at the time and
certainly they were viewed with some suspicion.

icarus pacific said:
I'm typing this looking at a Useless Diver's double hose regulator sitting proudly amidst items from a well-worn time when I was a mere size Large. Back when I could fit into an unmodified SL17. :crutch

That reg could flow like a Mutha and I did like the bubble free face, but the tug of the hoses alongside my mug was always a little bothersome.

Time to go dust my MkV...

If that old Useless Divers double hose is in your way send it to me I will put it to good use.

Buttanic

Mike Dunning said:
Jon said:

Hi Jon.
After 50+ years in diving, I am just amazed that US Divers/Aqualung could come out with such a piece of rubbish like this. I am sure that someone will buy one, even if it is just for a future museum piece. All I can say is that they must be desperate to corner a 'Niche' market that is not there, but they are trying to make!! The mind boggles!! $900? Buy a rebreather!!
Regards to all.
Mike.

show me where I can get a rebreather for 900.00 please and Ill buy you one.
Not some piece of **it somebody built in their garage either.
I think they will sell thousands. There is a market for this product. even as a memorbilia considering it comes with allot of bells and whistles. I could see where cold climate rescue departments would need it and too the guy who likes to get close and take pics and cant afford 7200.00 for a rebreather and certifications would purchase this. What did aqualung do to you?
I checked one out at the dive shop and i think its pretty cool and if I could afford it I would buy it. Lets not forget whos been building dive gear longer and who first built the double hose regulator.

I have the two stage double hose that I bought new in 1954 and will let it go for a good bit less than $900. I may have a Mistral that I bought a few years later too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT