• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Draeger Dolphin of course

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Which rebreather?

• Draeger Dolphin

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Buddy Inspiration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MK5 CIS Lunar

• Megalodon

• Semi-Closed

• Closed-Circuit

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
or Buddy Inspiration?

I realise that these are different systems of rebreather, but I have conflicting opinions.

Our resort is investing heavily in the the dive operation. They are buying the works, DPV, Nitrox, and 3 rebreathers.

The Dive Operation Manager said to me last night, we are buying Draeger Dolphin, of course!

However, I have heard from other rebreather divers that the Buddy Inspiration is the only way to go... and that they wouldn't touch a Draeger.

What's your opinion? I have included an option in the poll for semi-closed and CCR for preference stats.

Why closed circuit as opposed to semi-closed?

Last edited:
Not that I know anything about tanks or rebreathers, I-Sands...

...but perhaps your dive operator is thinking in terms of insurance and liability. I checked out Buddy Inspirations (now named simply Inspirations), and they seem to have a smaller operation and output than Draeger...I could be wrong of course.

I know Draeger is quite a big company that has branches all around the globe. Coincidentally, I use Draeger pumps in my line of work to measure different levels of potentially harmful gases. They have quite a big company.

Maybe he's just covering his butt, or maybe he's just not hip to popular choice. Have you asked him, or informed him about the alternative?

There's my two shots in the dark.

I think it really depends upon your customer base. The Drager is easy to teach and offers less hassels to the dive center than a full blown CCR. They seem to work out better if someone just wants to do a quick couple day course and get started with some no-deco fish dives.

Having said that, the Inspiration is the real deal and will require quite a bit more in terms of instruction, supplies, and cost. I know some divers were using them on some of the deeper wrecks in Lake Michigan (320'+) for some more extened bottom times than the open-circut people were doing, but they also require 3 times as much training, and money, to get started.

The main question to ask your boss is if you intend to become a full-blown tech facility, or are you just looking to add some new toys to the line-up to have more to offer your customers.

Jon

Jon said:
Having said that, the Inspiration is the real deal and will require quite a bit more in terms of instruction, supplies, and cost.

The main question to ask your boss is if you intend to become a full-blown tech facility, or are you just looking to add some new toys to the line-up to have more to offer your customers.

Jon

I see the point now, that's probably where he is heading. This resort we're building is directed at customers with money who need entertainment and toys with all the trimmings while on holiday, as opposed to really going full blow with a technical course. At 650USD p.p. per night as a bog standard price you will need some high tech toys available without requiring three weeks training, but still give the customer some technical training and experience. Something to take home that you can talk about in the boardroom!
At Divetech we did a few one-day experience programmes on rebreathers and I think that this resort would have the market for it.

Thanks for the tip on Inspiration. It's one of the things I want to do this year now that I am moving to a more "civilised" country.. finish my tri-mix course and do a rebreather course. I had my mind "set" on Inspiration and yet one more positive comment from an experienced technical diver has confirmed it for me.. it is the way to go..

Thanks Jon.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT