• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dream of spearing my 1st Fish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

irshaad

May 25, 2015
Hi, I live in Durban, South Africa and although I grew up here i just relocated after living inland for 15 years. Growing up in durban it was my dream to learn to spearfish and unfortunately the closest i got was playing around in the shallows and eventually scuba diving on the odd trip. I aim to learn all i can here and hope to meet similar minded people who have patience and wouldn't mind showing me the ropes so i can achieve my dream.

You are in good company. There is a ton of information here. You may want to spend some time searching and browsing. We have a fair number of folks who can answer questions. We also have a beginner Spearfishing subforum, linked here: https://forums.deeperblue.com/forums/beginner-spearfishing.61/

I highly recommend that you read the Dummies Guide to Spearfishing threads as well as the Dummies Guide to Rigging a Speargun, which are sticky threads at the top of the beginner forum. These were written by a DB member who spearfished out of South Africa, so it is especially relevant for your situation. He frequently posted impressive photos of his catches, so he really knew what he was talking about.

If you'd like to meet up with locals, check out the Africa/Middle East subforum and introduce yourself. Here's a link for that: https://forums.deeperblue.com/forums/africa-middle-east.93/

Finally, it would serve you well to seek out a freediving course. They are unsurpassed in terms of the gains you would achieve in terms of safety and technique. You might also meet some locals during your class.

Welcome to Deeperblue :)

Welcome to the forum, I hope you will live out your dream!

I have some info about spearfishing gear on my blog if it can help. The link should be in my signature.

Cheers,
Gabriel

Go speak to shane at freadivers he will hook you up with local divers in sure of it also have a look at the fb groops

Where do you stay in durbun know alot of guys that dive there . Search them on fb freedivers and they have got all the contact details on there

Theres also a bluff spearfishing page go like it . Tell the okes you are new and want a shore dive buddy they wont mind

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT