• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dry Static Dizzy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LiquidRush

Fluid Funk Stylist
Jul 27, 2004
I get bored sitting at work so I often practice dry statics. Sometimes I get really dizzy and kinda space out. It feels really nice though, like a drug. What is happening exactly? I think I'm addicted to it.

The dizzyness is at the beginning of the hold?
Perhaps you hyperventilated if so...

I think it can be caused by a change in blood pressure, and also by hyperventilation.

Lucia

hi

i just found out what you mean. i was breathing fast and then i held my breath. everything was getting quite fuzzy. felt nice, though. but i don't know if that would be good in water. what do you think?

sandra

Hey!

I would say its certanly not good to hyperventilate in water. It rises ur HR and can cause U to black out...

I remeber a game we played a few yers ago. It caled Bramajama :). U crouch and hyperventilate for a minute or 2 and then stand up fast. I tell u its better to have 2 strong friends standing besides U that will catch U when u fall.

Well i guess it was a stupid thing to do but...

I would also like to point out that i noticed its far more easyer for me to hyperventilate when prepairing for dry static lying on my back than in water. I was wondering why... Has anyone an explanation? I manage to get in hyperventilation after 4-5 medium slow deep breaths..

Hi all!
firefly: What happens when you hyperventilate is that your CO2 blood concentration
decreases so much that your central nervous system response is to narrow all your
blood vessels... The result is that feeling of 'light' headness, irreality.. etc. If you do too much too fast, you can blackout on dryland due to vasoconstriction. This is called hypocapnia blackout and if it happens while underwater you risk your life.. not much fun stuff. Another big concern is with the '7-meter blackout'. By artificially loweing your CO2 concentration, you fool your body to 'sense' that no O2 needed, but when you rise from the depths, the negative pressure gradient, makes the O2 diffusion more difficult... and... guess what?? you blackout :|. So you risk your life in two different ways. Another plus is that your HR rises, so the dive is very unpeaceful.
What most people do is just make a few purge breaths (fast, deep exhales) to
release a litle CO2 for 'comfort dive' and then inhale and go. Or purge till you feel a litle light headness, then take 3 or 4 normal (as in normal life) breaths till the feeling goes away, big inhale and go
The number of purges is completely personal, from 0 to as many as 10, but they are typically 3-4. It depends on so many factors.. and same person different days can have different blood PH which turn into more/less purge breaths...
But hey, the good news is that if you already know the feeling of hyperventilation,
you just know that if you feel it, you must wait a litle breathing normally till the feeling disappears and then go in a SAFE way!!

SanSan:
When you have your torso/part of your torso inmersed in water, your breathing muscles are going to work much harder for the same amount of aire inhaled/exhaled that in dryland. The reason? water is much more dense than air, so forces to move it are higher. So maybe your 4-5 medium breaths dry are 9-10 in water (due to decreased volume) or your 4-5 medium dry breaths must be 4-5 wet much deeper (objectively same volume, but subjectively much hard to do) breaths.
This is the reason because swimming is so good for your lungs: you are breathing against the water

Cheers!

Hyperventilation in combination with packing makes you dizzy and can lead to BO. CO2 narrows the vessels as BlueIcaros mentioned and packing restricts the bloodflow to the brain. In combination it's "hazard" in my opinion, you have to really get to learn your body here....

YOu should pay attention to what blueicarus is saying. And YES the breathold IS adictive. If you want to become good in it you should learn something about breathing tehniques. And your breathold will become longer, easier, more pleasureable, and much safer. You will learn how to hyperventilate and why and why not and all that. So search for some yoga comunity and try it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT