• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

dry static, listen to music?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pyro

Apr 13, 2004
so i just did 3mins with no hypervent, thats the first time i do this, and since i have been coughing my guts off all day, i can say i am a tad proud of meself:p

anyway, i really like trance and house music, so i put on a nice chillout tune, put the timer on, took some deep breathes, and hold my breath. i was amazed how fast the first two minutes past, but after that, it was horrible, my body was screaming for air, and well i just woulnt let it breath, it felt bad, i even felt like throwing up, but now it feels so good:D

back to my point, music takes my mind off, i just thought of nothing and consentrated on the tune, perhaps you want to try that? let your mind go, dont think of the time or anything, just try your best?

just a sugestion, im off to see if i can dou half 3 now:cool:

Reactions: jodyfreedive
psy trance is what i like to listen to for dry statics, especially the ambient stuff like Shpongle and Hallucinogen/Ott. best with a good pair of heahphones.

'Why worry' by Dire Straits also works good. It's quite long too, 8'31".

Another good one is 'Touch me feel me' by Darude, Ville Virtanen. 6'31" in lenght.

Both are slow songs with only a few instrumets.

Originally posted by Tommy Engfors
'Why worry' by Dire Straits also works good. It's quite long too, 8'31".

Another good one is 'Touch me feel me' by Darude, Ville Virtanen. 6'31" in lenght.
Long? try 'Echoes' by pink floyd -20mins~. or 'The Blue Room' by 'The Orb': 38:50~:duh
Last one of those and it's a record.
Regarding music, I prefer mostly electronic (not trance/house/dance) for statics, but it depends on the mood. Got good results with 'Grace' by Jeff Buckly once or twice.. defenitly not electronic. :)
Long time ago made a playlist with lot's of stuff that fits apnea (for me).
Put it on shuffle and go do a table. It's a good way to spend that time. Should do it again...
Even motivates you to do long sessions, since you don't always have the chance to just listen to music while doing nothing else... which is sometimes the best way to listen...

i do like psytrance, but often it mostly gets me moving, in way, it sorta gives me the kick to do something, whereas chillout is calm, so a bit better when i try holding by breath. in anyway i guess its upto what everyones likes are, if you do like electronica tho and do have a rather good net conection, go to di.fm pick a music of your choise and click listen, pretty good stuff there

The best I have come across is 'A wonderful life' by Carl Craig (From Landcruising '95). It is 6'31" but good enough to be played on repeat.

I am also going to make a tape just of slow breathing, as I have an inkling that this could do wonders. Recently I was doing holds whilst someone else was doing yoga in the same room - the sound of another's breathing kind of tricks you into thinking that you are doing the same...

burned a mix cd last week that i use for diving as opposed to static(for the 30 minute taxi ride to the blue hole), and it has very different feeling music to what i would listen to for static. not neccesarily amping music, but music that puts a smile on my face and puts me in a good mood(favourite for this at the moment is Dave Matthews Bands' 'Best of whats arround".) Though there is one classical adagio on there (think its by Barber) that i also like to listen to sometime before a dive because this is the best tune to have in my head as i breathup, a realy slow plodding bassline. also works good for statics this one

Reactions: donmoore
Shame we can't find some waterproof headphones and listen whilst doing wet statics to. Wonder if thats allowed?

Donna

i am sure you can make one, just find some sort of a plastic capsule and put each headphone in there, but then i dont know how music will sound underwater, sound travels faster in a solid medium so it might be pretty weird, would be fun to try nevertheless

Personally, I think it would help me no end! I sing to myself when doing wet statics but very rarely get past the first verse as I lose track of the song and keep repeating the same lines!!! Presume thats down to starving my brain of oxygen, either that or I have a rubbish memory :D Thats why my statics are rubbish, I get bored with singing the same lines - wishful thinking!!

Donna

Donna

Donna,

You can get water proof headphones. Not sure who makes them, but I know Mandy Rae used them when she did her static WR.

If you check out the Performance Freediving website I think you can see pictures of her with the radio strapped to the back of her head/goggles.

Jason Billows
Ottawa, Canada

Reactions: donmoore
Thanks Jason, thats good to know. I'll check it out...

Donna

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT