• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dry suit air dump problem

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mincey

May 20, 2003
Hi,

I am fairly new to SCUBA diving and only have 13 dives under my belt. At the weekend I went diving for the first time this year mainly to try out the new equipment I have bought. Everything was fine during the decent (we only went to 12 meters max) but on the ascent the automatic shoulder dump on my Northern Diver Cortex dry suit seemed to stop dumping air at about 6 meters, which meant I could no longer control my rate of ascent. This was not fun and was pretty scary. No matter what I did I could not seem to make the valve dump sufficient air to keep me neutrally buoyant. I had to keep fining downwards to regain control. I believe the problem to be related to the under suit I was wearing (a weezle extreme plus) which I think was blocking the dump valve when the air was expanding inside the dry suit.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with under suits hindering the dump valve?

what to wear under your suit

Hi, I too am having the same issue with my undersuit, which happens to be the same make as yours.

The valve on my shoulder appears to be blocked by the suit, thus causing the same issues you described, only I was having real issues at 9.5 meters staying down.

I have heard that a bandage or similar around the arm where the valve is helps, though as yet I have not tried this.

The problem with diving in the UK is that warmth is a major factor, hence the purchase of the undersuit.

I too would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience this problem or who has any hints or tips regarding the undersuit.

G :D

You might like to try sticking some duct tape (the strong silver stuff) on the arm of your undersuit, under the valve. Some of the wooly bear type suits are very prone to this because of the fabric, although the thinsulate ones are less affected because they have a smooth outside.

Hope this helps

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT