• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dry vs wet statics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fabrice

Apr 3, 2002
Hello,

I recently started doing dry statics, and I'm surprised by the difficulty of dry statics compared to wet statics.
I can reach 5min in the pool on a regular basis, but I barely make more than 3min when out of the pool.
I noticed that I have difficulties to be as relaxed, I really feel my lungs being stretched (i'm not using lung paccking btw). And when it comes to contractions, I'm almost unable to sustain them when dry, but can sustain them for 2min when in the pool (I simply kind of forget them).
Did anyone experience similar difficulties, or have any advice ?

Thanks, dive safely.

No advice on that one, but I can tell you that you're not alone. I hate dry statics. Never do them. In the water I'm much more relaxed. Besides, why hold your breath out of water when there's plenty of clean, fresh air to breathe? :D

-Mike

Theory

Wet statics should be easier for a variety of reasons. However, I tend to get fairly similar results in either. Not that I bother doing either much anymore......I quite like doing long dives whilst out - in the region of 2-3 minutes, or sometimes go and sit on the bottom of the swimming pool for 3-4 minutes watching people swimming about.

I am quite happy up to a few minutes past the physiological breaking point, but actually putting my head down and grunting for the last minute or so of a max static is no longer my cup of tea.

Yuck.

:yack

Hey fabrice.

Just my 2 cents... My static times use to be lop-sided too (much better in water). The reason was that I was keeping my back, neck, and shoulders tense. I found that it is difficult to lie down without some part of your body still contracting. I never realized it until I made a conscious effort to scrutinize all of my muscles while lying down. Once I corrected this problem, my static times matched.

Here's what I recommend. Obviously, you will want to lie down to lower your blood pressure.....last thing you want is your ticker working harder than it has too. If you lie down flat on the your back, you may notice that your lower back and neck still have tension in them. What I do to remedy this is to slightly elevate my feet and head with pillows. I make sure that the pillow under my head is also supporting my neck, and the pillow supporting my legs is located between my knees and ankles. Then I let out a big sigh and let all of my muscles go limp. This should create a feeling of overall heaviness (sinking) on your body. Try to make sure that your entire dorsal surface is touching the bed/couch at every point. Pay special attention to any body surface that is not in contact with the bed/couch. For me, palms flat at my side helps to relax my shoulders as well. Lastly, after you take your final breath - Pay Attention! This is when folks frequently go back to being tense all over again.

Hope this can help you.

Last edited:
Many reasons

In the water, you can cool your body more readily, which is the most important variable in your time. On land, you tend not to care about your body temperature.

The blood shift is more profound in the water, which makes contractions easier to hold.

You can also relax more muscles in the water.

However, if you manipulate the correct variables on land, your times would be similar.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi

Whats goin on im opposite

dry 5:15
wet 4:15

wet statics suck contractions always start around 1 min earlier.

cheers

during 3 months in thailand this year i did statics in water regularly with 5:22 beeing the pb then. 5 months (without training) later in austria doing dry statics for a while i reached 5:46 pb so far.

it just took me a while to adjust to doing them dry and beeing able to relax well. i havent changed my stretching/breathing routine.

about e.fattah s quote : the bloodshift is more profound in water

i read all related posts with great interest but this seems to be the first time that i read about the bloodshift setting in on a static already. is this actually the case or did i get that wrong ?
any replies to this one would be highly appreciated.

thanx

roland

:cool:

"this seems to be the first time that i read about the bloodshift setting in
on a static already. is this actually the case or did i get that wrong ?"

I don't really understand the question.

In trained divers, the blood shift occurs in response to apnea, even without water or pressure. My legs tend to go numb during dry statics, my hands get cold and somewhat numb as well.

Remember that there are two different meanings of 'blood shift':
1. Movement of blood from the arms and legs into the core of the body
2. Swelling of the alveoli from negative pressure in the lungs, and movement of plasma into the lungs

#1 is the correct meaning. #2 should have a different name.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

eric

my understanding of bloodshift, until now, was #2.

thanks for clearing this up.

roland

"#2 should have a different name."....

.... I've read the term "pulmonary erection" in a text somewhere. Can't remember where though. :confused:

Bloodshunt

Bloodshift = bloodshunt

Two words, same meaning.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT