• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dubai Freediving Competition 2011 (Fazza)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
3:00.40 and you came second? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, Sofia did 2:59.68 if I remember correctly. It was terribly upsetting - I thought I'd actually won something to do with statics!

Reactions: Simos and Kars
I'm sure the error margin on measuring a static would be far greater than 8 hundredths of a second!

Haha very true Will - maybe if there was a way for the diver to stop the stopwatch themselves (without looking at the reading of course) it would be fairer/more accurate.

It always amazes me how close people can guess their time and depth (I got lucky last year and won a 'guess your depth' competition). But it also amazes me how much people get it wrong too sometimes! lol

Chrismar - I feel your pain :) you must have thought you had it in the bag!

Yeah, Sofia did 2:59.68 if I remember correctly. It was terribly upsetting - I thought I'd actually won something to do with statics!

In the Fazza comp you only have to hold the rope with one hand... so I guess you could hold your nose if need be. It is definitely a very different experience! My static time is half of what it normally is if I do it the "Fazza way" - I just cant reach that "mind over matter" stage with my sinuses full of pool/sea water :(

Sara, go down feet first, use the water pressure pushing into your lovely nose to equalise against. No pinching needed. I did it in Spain, and was pleasantly surprised how comfortable and nice a dive like that was to -7m.

I was alone, so I kept the dive very short ~ 1 minute, but I now wonder how I can deal with contractions this way. I think the pressure will make it easier to keep the air down in the lungs.

I was alone, so I kept the dive very short ~ 1 minute, but I now wonder how I can deal with contractions this way. I think the pressure will make it easier to keep the air down in the lungs.
Not really - quite oppositely - under the pressure it is closer to an empty lungs hold, so you are more likely to get the water deep into the sinus , or even inhale or swallow it with contractions. I use to do competitions without a noseclip (it is excellent for diving response), but usually only dynamics. In statics, the contractions are harder, so without the noseclip it is not so easy.

The next time I'm at a 5m pool I'll give it a go. I think at that depth - with some packing - the lungs may feel like a FRC surface static, not like an empty lung.

Yes, it is more like FRC, but still emptier than full, and the emptier lungs you have, the more room they have for the the inhale movement during contractions, hence the higher likelyhood the water enters the sinus or even deeper. Unless you keep the epiglottis perfectly thight during the contractions, which personally I am not really able to do at long statics.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT