• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dublin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Hey anyone in Dublin at the moment ?

I'm here until the 19th and if you are in Dublin this weeknd and fancy a pint and a chat about diving give me a shout...

Cheers
Ed

howya Ed,

I'm a native Dub but i'm afraid i'll be in barcelona for the weekend:)
PM paddythefrog on this list (duncan),hes a sound guy to talk to though he hasn't posted in a while...

enjoy your stay mate
Pat

Howzitgoin there boss,
I've got a couple of housewarmings to go to on Saturday night, but if yer about on Sunday - our scubadiving club (UCDSAC) is heading for a snorkel in Sandycove at 11 a.m.
My mobile #'s 086 1734900

enjoy our fair city!

GKS

Hey - thanks for replying - I missed all these as I couldn't get into DB (some tech issue).
Anyway - I'm still here - so if anyone fancies a pint after work give me a shout - staying near Temple Bar.
Cheers
Ed

That'll teach me not to be checking the forums but sadly that was slap bang in the middle of a peak season of work for myself. One more coming up again from next Monday until the end of February, trickling off into the first week or two of March. I don't plan on diving again until the end of March or start of April but that could all change once I get my pal90 from Angelo.

If anyone is planning on coming over and is in Dublin for a few days then drop me an email to paddyfrog@hotmail.com (put something in the title to identify yourself please as it's my spambox). If you're flying then I can lend a gun no problem, both 90cm tubes, Beuchat mundial and Sporasub viper (h.dessault). I preferred the latter in it's hey day and was a little bit dissapointed with the mundial although it's the newer gun. I have some spare weights but not quite enough for two people.

Soon as the water warms up a bit around June I'm planning a long weekend in Waterford -- hopeful there's some nice bass to be had and I'm due a trip back to Spiddal to see if I can't find some bigger Pollack to play with :p

Hows it going Duncan?

I myself won't be doing much diving until May or thereabouts due to this being my final year of university :duh
if you need a buddy then, just let me know. i almost bought an omer 75 in barcelona a few months ago but decided to leave any speargun purchases until my exams are over!
any suggestions for a quality first speargun for our irish conditions would be greatly appreciated form yourself or anyone else out there.

all the best
Pat

Heya Ladz,
just a quick email to introduce meself.
Name's Graham, also a Dub,
after 6 years of scubadiving in Ireland, I fancied something new & started checking out freediving
Its a buzz,
If any of you spearos are interested in havin an oul splash or doing on any training, let me know.
Always interested in meeting other long-fin divers
email address is graham@deepwreck.com

cheers,
Graham

btw: what suits are you fellas using?

Pat -- Most of my experience is based in French waters off the coast of Brittany so it's a tough one to call. Being in Dublin and having an extremely fine, sandy seabed I'd suggest you try a 75/90cm tube. That could have been a good purchase in Spain and likely a lot cheaper, I get all my gear in France during the Summer months and haul it back over :)

Graham, sounds good! I'm using an OMER bottom half -- 5/7mm that I got last Summer and an Immersion 5/7mm I've had for many years (need to see if I can't find the top half of this OMER wetsuit next Summer -- couldn't afford the lot at the time)

Keeps me warm enough for 2.5-3hrs odd in the Water here during October/November when I make my last outings until things warm up again. I plan on buying myself something a bit warmer for colder dives but I don't like restricting my movement at all - this OMER is the nicest suit I've ever had (partly made from kevlar, it's so durable it's incredible).

Last Summer it saved me taking a massive chunk of my knee while hunting some bass/mullet in 1M and below depth. Sure enough I found a nicely sized 1.3K bass chomping away at some oyster shells that had been broken but he was quite far away. I lined up my shot as best I could from the distance and fired - my spear tip put a little hole in his head but did not pierce him! He started floating upwards and was upside down in the water. I got on all fours and tried to grab him with my hands and then the funniest game of cat & mouse ever ensued. I was crawling around the oyster ridden rocks (may as well have been razor blades!), lunging at the fish attempting to grab it and the fish was swimming like he was broken. Anytime I tried to grab him, he would a) jump out of the water to avoid me grabbing him or b) swim up/down as best he could in his broken manner.

When the chase ended and I had the fish in my hands, completely out of breath, I realised there was blood coming from my hands from several little razor-like cuts. It wasn't until I got out of the water and took off my wetsuit that I noticed a massive gash on my kneecap that was quite deep (no diving for 5 days and some stitching required). The damage to the wetsuit was a pinhole in the kneecap. Any other wetsuit would have been shredded. The doctor informed me that my wetsuit had saved my knee from something a lot more serious. When she saw the wetsuit damage and what had happened to my knee she was staring in disbelief at the pinhole in the wetsuit and praised its durability. The local fishermen had a great laugh at me and told me to stick to diving for fish where there was water underneath me - I disturbed them all from their drinks to get some stitches from the local doc. :hmm

Keeps me in the water for 5-7hrs+ in France during the Summer months if I desire a long swim or two/three dives with a break sitting on the rocks to soak up some sun wating for the tide to do it's thing. I use it for scuba there as well with no gloves/booties.

I have a thing for VERY shallow fishing at dawn and sunset on the continent -- it's how I learnt to spear and since then I've developed it as my preferred technique, crawling along the rocks like an indian looking for unsuspecting bass/mullet/royal sea bream.

what a city Dublin :p
have nice time whatever you do enjoy your stay
i am a big fun of irish and celtic music
eyal

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT