• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dummies guide to Spearfishing - Part II

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

miles

BORN WILD!!!
Supporter
Jun 13, 2003
Hiya

Dummies guide to Spearfishing - Part II can be found on Deeperblue's home page under the spearfishing section. Here's a quick link:
http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/720/41

There is a considerable amount of very interesting and informative articles on both spearfishing as well as freediving on Deeperblue's home page. Well worth looking at!! Link:
http://www.deeperblue.net/

Regards
miles

Just rad the spearfishing dummy guide and i must say very helpfull :)

The only downfall to it was the length charts didnt have air gun sizes or is that because they are versitol in all areas due to the high and low pressure switch?

Would have been good to read this before i bought my gun, bought a 90cm divecom harpia here in brazil?? Was also wondering if anyone has any tips for someone starting out spearfishing in brazil? I cant really find anything on the internet, so i figure my best bet is, when in a bigger city, to get a book of the types of fish around here? The water is more then warm enough so I dont think i need a wetsuit , so is a weight belt still necessary? And one more, is it a good idea for starting out to more float/swim slowly on the surface rather then sit on the bottom? I can hold my breath for about a max of one min right now, and would have no idea, yet at least, where to go to stay on the bottom??
Thanks for any tips!

Welcome Pescadoro. I suggest that you open up a new thread, either in the forum's Beachbar or Introductions & Greets section or a Brazil-specific thread in the new spear fishing regional area section, either way include Brazil in the title. We certainly have forum members there, including Ted Budion in Rio (<-click link to get member details/to contact him) who is very experienced and who you might want to contact directly through the forum's Private or Public mail options. I think Strangelove is Brazilian too. I believe Ocean Girl is there too:inlove:chatup:crutch - as if you guys don't get enough sunshine already:D.

Also, try searching for Brazil using one of the search menu options at the top of this page ;)

Try this thread for starters: http://forums.deeperblue.com/fish-photos-regulations/82488-hunting-brazil.html - ah, looks like you already did. Good:)

Last edited:
Although my English some times didn't help me to understand some expressions but it helps me a lot i must say , some how i found my self lucky that i bought Cressi sioux 60 Cm
(month ago) after i read all the threads as the area which i dive in does not exceed five to six meters and filled with coral reefs ( Ras Sudr Red sea Egypt).
the problem was during first attempts as i dropped the spear gun on the reef and the band get scratched

in Egypt that is a very big problem spearfishing is not allowed and it is a crime to have one so it is a very difficult to get accessories
i did some research and it was like buying drugs any way all that i can get is 18 ml bal co (30 Cm ) while the original was about 24Cm and it is not easy to use ( very hard ) i do not know what to do should i cut it but how ( it is not like the regular band in you tube which can be adapter

Attachments

• 20130927_212791.jpg
    20130927_212791.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 20130927_213190.jpg
    20130927_213190.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 20130927_213193.jpg
    20130927_213193.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 20130927_213426.jpg
    20130927_213426.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 231
  • z_0FE345000_01.jpg
    z_0FE345000_01.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Although my English some times didn't help me to understand some expressions but it helps me a lot i must say , some how i found my self lucky that i bought Cressi sioux 60 Cm
(month ago) after i read all the threads as the area which i dive in does not exceed five to six meters and filled with coral reefs ( Ras Sudr Red sea Egypt).
the problem was during first attempts as i dropped the spear gun on the reef and the band get scratched

in Egypt that is a very big problem spearfishing is not allowed and it is a crime to have one so it is a very difficult to get accessories
i did some research and it was like buying drugs any way all that i can get is 18 ml bal co (30 Cm ) while the original was about 24Cm and it is not easy to use ( very hard ) i do not know what to do should i cut it but how ( it is not like the regular band in you tube which can be adapter

Don't cut anything, the rubber is longer, making it more easier to pull but you will sacrifice power that way, but it will still work. A general rule, is that the rubber should be between 1/3 and 1/4 the length of the gun and if you are using bulk rubber and making a circular band, then the total length of rubber you should cut, should be between 1/2 and 2/3 of the length of the shaft of the gun, the longer the rubber the less power but easier to load. By the way, I also spearfish in Egypt, and I would recommend that you get a gun from 90cm-110cm for fishing around the reef. The extra range really helps. Glad to meet a fellow spearo from Egypt :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT