• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Durban, Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SurfnSpear

At the beach!
May 24, 2005
Hi all, had a quick business trip out last week and managed to get away for 2 short dives. Managed to borrow some gear and first dive on the Thursday blew my mind. Crystal day off Westbrook Beach 20 mins north of Durban with everything so active. Friday morning had the usual dolphins, a southern right whale offshore and while diving a close encounter with a massive Devil Ray which was a little inquisitive. On the fishing front I whacked a 7kg Dagga Salmon (Kob) and got my bag of 8 crayfish. For those who know him, Rowan was busy on the quick dive the day I flew out. He managed to get a near 10kg Garrick and after much shouting for me to get over to where he was to hopefully take care of it's partner, it scooted off before I got within range. A bag full of bugs, a shad, nice grunter and a rock cod and we were back on the beach racing to get me to the airport for check in! A lovely little reintro to the Indian Ocean. P.S The sardine run is just about to start hence the Garrick starting to run....so if you want to see something spectacular....get a last minute ticket.:D

Attachments

• DaggaSalmon.JPG
    DaggaSalmon.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC00375.JPG
    DSC00375.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC00419.JPG
    DSC00419.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Nice work SurfnSpear:). You certainly know how to get the lobsters (care to post an article sometime?).

If you need someone to help carry the gear next time ;)...

Nice catch man, the westcoast crays season is closed but we went out at dassen island on sunday and man was I tempted. The crayfish run over each other all fighting for space. Well the tail was running and some of the boats filled their quota before 11am, us on the other hand spent most of our time on the wrong side of the island and got only one on the boat :crutch , so were gonna see what Arniston delivers on the weekend of the 16th.

Hiya

Deepthinker, just wondering if you were the spearo that waved to me on Sunday??

PM me your cell number!!!

Regards
miles

Mr. X, catching them is really not hard....it's the surviving the eel lottery that's the issue!:p
It always pays to recce the hole on the first drop, second drop try to come from behind them and shoot your hand very quickly over and with a lot of conviction for grabbing hold of at least one, two if possible! I also then use this opportunity for another look in the hole to make sure this has not in fact really flushed an eel. If nothing then drop again after a couple of minutes on top letting them settle again, but this time you really want both hands working as fast as you can.
With our crayfish it's a given that you use thinish gloves for 'feel' and that helps when you are at this stage because by now they are really burying themselves into the nooks and crannies. You work by getting your fingers and thumbs right in behind them and really manipulating them out in an almighty tug of war. Our crays also have two nasty little sharp horns on their head which ALLWAYS jab your thumb so you get used to it! Clear that hole, but keep in mind your own safety at all times.
:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT