• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dynamic 25 meter speeds

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Adrian

Deeper Blue Beachcomber
Supporter
Nov 23, 2002
Johnny and I were practicing in the pool today and timed ourselves doing between 13 and 16 seconds going flat out in a 25 meter pool. I don't know if that's good, normal or terrible! We used both mono and bifins. I did the same time with both, but that's probably because I need to refine my monofinning technique.

So, the question is, what are your times?

Adrian

Hi here are some data on 50m.

Start in water+ turn 2x25m:
Race--23-24,5 sec
Normal speed at interval training--27-32sec
Max distance attempt: 34-40sec

I think I was timed 2 years ago in 25m in about 11,8sec but I guess I'm almost a sec faster now.

I swim in a 25 yard pool, but a resonable conversion to meters would be 14 seconds for flat out with hybrid bifins.

Thanks for the thread, I wondered the same thing.

Connor

From finswimming, I think once I broke 10s for 25m. Good is sorta 9-10s, great is anything less - fastest I've seen was just over 8s.

1.3m/sec when intervals training (mono). A 33m pool, and he seem to be my enegy eficient speed at this stage.

derelictp said:
Loopy,

Is the times you talk about with start in the water?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think by "finswimming" loopy meant surface finswimming. (?)

derelictp: My times were with in-water starts plus surfacing (at the end) and then looking at the pool timer.

Adrian

I think these times are for underwater finswimming - they have a 50m apnea sprint category. as far as I know the UK womens record is 24 seconds.... I have been trying for a while to crack that but 30 is about my best!

S

Hola Adrian.
50 metros 35 seg .25 patadas.Piscina de 50m.Mono.
45 seg con bifins.
Saludos.

Thanks Rafa,

For those who don't know, 25 patadas means 25 kicks, not potatoes :D

Adrian

Dear all,

The british records for apnea times are:

Women:
25 m Ap 00:09.85
50 m Ap (25 m Pool) 00:22.71
50 m Ap (50 m Pool) 00:22.30

Men:
25 m Ap 00:07.42 (00:06.54 in 1993)
50 m Ap (25 m Pool) 00:17.98
50 m Ap (50 m Pool) 00:19.00 (00:16.12 in 1993).

All the best.

UKFinswimmer

Those are impressive times UKFinswimmer, can you tell us in what sort of setting they were, ie, what sort of competition, who organized it, etc, I'm just curious about the details!

Thanks,
Adrian

Hi again,

The 25 m and short course times tended to have been set at demonstration events. The long course times were set at European or World Championships. The 16.12 set in 1993 was at a fairly informal European Championship trials. A time of 17.27 was also set in 1993 short course (not mentioned before, couldn't find it - sorry) at a demonstration event.

All the best.

UK Finswimmer

Just to add to the above, in training the top UK guys would do about 9.5, 9.8s for every 25 in a 8 x 25 m set (1 min rest) with no dive. The top girls about 10.5, 10.8. in a 4 x 50 m Ap (2 mins rest) set the top guy in the UK would average 20.5 - 21 with no dive. The Russians and the Chinese would go a lot faster World record 50 m Ap 14.22 (men) and 16.06 (women).

UK Finswimmer

Reactions: Adrian
hi

it took me 12 seconds for the 25m 2 days ago (surface). but those numbers, 14" apnea and 16" surface in a 50m pool, make me consider switching to a less depressing spare time activity. paint by numbers comes to mind :))

connor, are you a bi-fin diver? say yes, please, please, please! i don't want to be a dying species ;)

greetings

roland

Hi Adrian, look me pretty slow but may be for you it's better to swim slowly in order to save O2. Another thing it's if you are looking for velocity. By the way all the swimming that you can do in surface will help you to glide better while your apnea. Practice with a frontal snorkel will help you a a lot and you'll improve faster your kick. Are you using a hard or soft mono???

Bye

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT