• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

dynamic Fins vs. No/Fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

volodya

Apr 18, 2003
Dear forum,
I have question.
I am making 75 meters dynamic without fins.
And I could not make more than 75m with fins/dolphin style.
Fins are Riffe pez fuerte.

I have a puzzle - I am supposed to cover much bigger distance with the fins vs. no/fins, right?.
What is the problem?

What are the number of you folks?

Volodya

Try the flutter kick if you use bifins. Dolphin kick with bifins takes, for me, big amount of energy compared to the speed.

Or use a monofin. (But in my opinion a monofin is more beneficial for constant weight than for dynamic compared to bifins.)

If we compare the world records in the disciplines 183m/134m we have an idea of the difference in performance with and without fins.

I belive that you, if you optimize your technique, can reach at least 100-125m with fins and the capacity you've got!

But as always everybody is different and numbers are just numbers!

OOPS! Forgot to tell my numbers: 70m/111m but I have only tried without fins 3 times.

Last edited:
A big factor in getting over 75m is, turning. Assuming that you are using a 25m pool.

It's a big mental barrier that you've got to get over, but at the moment you just can't reach:head

There isn't anything that I can say that will get you over, just persistance and trying not to think about it as a barrier:D

I have always been able to go further without fins, but then I rarely get the chance to use fins, as most pools don't allow them.

All the best to you
Sam

75m barries

Thank you for the support, guys!

100-125m?? You are insipiring me, Peter!

I will try to work more and more with the technique.
Will be looking for more relaxed swings and bends - just love dolphin, this style has a soul.
25m pool.
The turns are killing. Bending the body and the blood shift at turns takes much of air.

I think the trick which could work is to get to 50m pool - only one turn and there will be motivation to get to the other side clean.

I am doing contant weight. The pool is just for the training.
Recently hit 31 meters - think I could make more.

I am afraid to get used to monofin - this Spring I got pretty bad situation when I was trying to get up after lurking around the wreck at 75ft swt. and one of my fins got stuck in the wreck but due to the trust foot came of out the fin pocket - rigth when I have over-done bottom time. Had to calm myself down, turn around, get back for the fin, put it on slowly in one try and up-up-up... almost 'saw the lights' on ~ 20 feets. Was diving alone.
Now I am diving deeper (now with the buddies).
Usually there is something down there.
What if monofin gets stuck or broke?
With one fin I do have slight chances, don't I?

Volodya

Yes you're right I don't think that a monofin is good if you do wreck diving........

I also use bifins sometimes just for that reason.

I haven't heard of monofins that got broke but of course that's possible.
It's funny to dive with anyway and if you do your deep dives along a line you always can use the line if something goes wrong...

Take it nice and easy with the depths and I'm shure you can improve much in constant weight. Safety is the most important thing...

My safety rules for myself is:
- Never increase the depth with more than 1-2m compared to pb. (same season)
-Always set a target depth before the dive and never go deeper than that. (because I don't wan't to make decisions at depth)
-Always repeat a pb twice before going deeper.
-Always have a buddy meeting at at least 15-20m
-Always turn around if something feels bad.

Good luck!

What style?

I am trying to improve my pb in this discipline

ive found several styles,
frog style,
frog+a dolphin kick,
frog finishing with my hands under my body(after doing a little push -just like getting out of the pool-)

head down (hydrodinamics but a little stressing)
or head up (looking to the wall)

doing it slowly (good for mind, bad for speed)
Or fast...

what are your styles, recommendations, experiences?
AIDA rules says you can push from the wall at the start but not on the turns? (i read this somewhere)

pb 70 in a 9m pool and i want to get to 100m this summer in a 50m pool!

Re: What style

I am in this sport for several months so far.
Had to change the style to improve the results.

I swim face down, chin of the chest and slide for 2+ seconds after each breast stroke with relaxed hands stretched along the body.

I do not know if this is best technique, you could take a look at Topi Lintukangas 60m clip:

http://www.divingfree.com/html/videos.htm

Volodya

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT