• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dynamic / pony bottle

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fatboyjim

Aug 28, 2002
Wonder if anyone can help on this one?

I`ve seen pictures of fin swimmers ...Russian I think using what looks like a small pony bottle training in the pool. There was also a short bit on The Big Blue.

Anyone know what sort of set up that is, I'm thinking its just a 3lt pony bottle just clasped between the hands and held out in front with a normal scuba reg set up.

Need to buy the 3lt bottle anyhow but if its suitable for the above then Hannah can pay half :)

cheers

It is an official finswimming discipline. Finswimming has surface and underwater disciplines.

They use a scuba bottle with a small scuba regulator (like the ones some technical divers use). Take one with a high airflow capacity because the air consumption is high when swimming at maximum speed. A 3 litre pony bottle with a small scuba regulator is perfect. A second or bigger bottle might give you more training distance.

The bottle is just held in the hands in front of the swimmer.

Often the following measurements are used in finswimming:
100 meter 1 litre bottle 200 bar
400 meter 3 litre bottle 200 bar
800 meter 7 litre bottle 200 bar

Success

It was explained to me that in the fastest finswimming disciplines that the athletes cannot get enough o2 through a snorkel due to the recycled air in the snorkel itself. However if a small compressed air bottle is used, then each breath has all fresh (non-recycled) air.

I didn't know that it was a discipline unto itself though. Thanks for the explanation Roland!

Aaron

It is a very nice experience so if you ever get the chance to try ....

For breathing I personally prefer the snorkel over a bottle. A regulator has slightly higher breathing resistance and the air is dry just as in scuba diving, which is really noticeable when you breathe fast.

Another nice monofinning site is www.kubrt.net : http://www.kubrt.net/Kp/EKubrt%20pages.htm :p

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT