• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dyneema floatline

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Joao Pedro

Feb 19, 2015
Could I use dyneema to connect the gun and the bouy? Would it float like a PVC cable? What about dyneema as a shotting line? I'm thinking of getting dyneema all the way! Note: small fishes, shallow water. Please share your opinion! Good week!

Yes you could. No, I wouldn't.

I do use dyneema as a belt reel line but it's always kept 'tight' and, never goes behind me.

Anyone who has used 2 wraps of dyneema shooting line will tell you, sure, it's quick, but it's LETHAL at tangling and, pulling tight into knots really fast.

So, sure, pass a dyneema core through some tubing, but trust me, you do NOT want collapsed dyneema floatline around your legs.

I guess I will use nylon for shooting line. As for float line I saw a guy using 5mm nylon! He said is pretty strong and floats well, but I'm not sure if will be better than pvc setup.

For float line try pvc tubing sealed at both ends , it works really well and floats up over obstructions as you move.
Its super strong and stretches if pulled by a large fish.
Never had a breakage. Hope it helps.

Reactions: Joao Pedro
Just a quick info for those who are interested, I bought a 1.6mm nylon and boy, the line memory is intense, it's almost like a rigid iron cable. Didn't test it in water yet, but after rigging/re-rigging this effect is very notable. Maybe I'll test in the future with dyneema.

I wonder how monofilament diameter affects it's tangle and memory characteristics... Still need further tests! Have a great week!

I was useing some pink line, and I was told to use transparent (at least for Med).
So I usenow 2 mil nylon. I had no pb with line's memory, but I have only 20m of line and I am store it in a coil, not on some dedicated device like you can buy for profile stores.
Test Dyneema, but it is very easely wrapping arround everything (read MyFish's previous post).

My 2 cents: I'd recommend against using nylon, which generally sinks & breaks down in UV, or Dyneema which is overkill for a floatline (doesn't it sink too?) & is, perhaps, an accident waiting to happen. Polyester rope/braid on the other hand (like Rob Allen's olive colored polyester float line, generic "Thai Green Curry" polyester rope or English-made polyester washing line rope - if you can find it) floats, has the right degree of stiffness and is generally a lot cheaper too.

Or aquarium tubing as already suggested above.

Interesting suggestion I heard after digging out a lilttle bit. Latex tubing (those used in medical), with two knots on extremes. I won't be aiming nothing big since I'm a beginner. Plastic tube was suggested also. Definitely, staying away from dyneema! Thanks guys!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT