• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dynema/Spectra?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Oska101

Aug 5, 2004
Just a couple quick questions - is Dynema the same thing as spectra? For shooting line is Dynema the best thing to use?
Cheers

Its my impression that they are the same thing. I have both on different reels, and other than color they look like the same thing to me.

I tried 2 mm spectra as shooting line and wouldn't recommend it. It does have some advantages over mono- its soft and doesn't take a set around line releases, etc., so it doesn't put as much drag on the shot. And of course it is very durable and less susceptible to cuts than mono. However, its just too damn limp and tangles too easily.

A compromise that some people seem to like is Memospec, which is available on the Picasso America site. I think it has a thin mono core inside a spectra sheath. I have not even seen it, but some guys use it on Euro guns and say its almost like freeshafting.

Thanks Bill
Might try that memo spec stuff then. I've tried to get onto the Picasso site today but it must be down. Do they ship internationaly?

I just tried the web site and got a connection failure too. I hope Roger hasn't gone belly up.

Since I'm local and know him, I just left a message on his voice mail and asked him about the status of the web site and whether he ships internationally. I'll let you know what I find out.

Roger Yazbeck, Mr. Picasso America, just returned my call and told me that someone hacked his web site and caused major problems and huge expense. He says it should be back up tomorrow or the day after at the latest.

He said Memospec is 1.7 mm and three times stronger than mono of the same diameter, and he thinks it is 35 cents per foot. I may have to try some myself.

Thanks Bill
I thought something was going wrong because last night I was on the page looking for some dyneema ect. and things weren't displaying properly and stuff. Such pricks those clowns who screw stuuf up for other people!

Very interesting, I am not worried by the cost of mono as i get it for free but I have found that it wears fast, especially in the smaller diameters that I use 1.5mm -1.7mm.
It is possible that the memospec may be what I am looking for.

I had a problem using the memospec. It looks great, shoots great and rigs easily, but the line stretched SIGNIFICANTLY the first time I used it and put pressure on it. It stretched so much that it went from tight on the release to being so loose it wouldn't come close to staying on. I had to put the gun back in the boat and get another one. I am not over it yet, but that was the review from my first trip with the line. I am very interested in seeing whether this was a freak thing or not.

Hey, thats not so good. I wouldn't bother if it does that. Too much Hassel. What do you do to secure it? ie. Crimps, Knotts?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT