• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ear pluggs and freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Intrud3r

Jul 23, 2017
Hi there,
Im starting to have some issues with my ears. Everytime i get in cold water the next five days they are hurting, the doctor said that is a small infection and in fact it goes away in a few days. For surfing i started using the surfears (https://surfears.com/) and it works great, but for spearfishing i still dive without ear pluggs. i can dive a entire day without hurting but in the next day it starts to hurt.
my question is if anyone is using them for diving/spearfishing i only dive to 15meters max.

Flush your ears out with peroxide after each dive session, and again each day for a couple of days. This will kill bacteria.

Sounds like it could be a fwwthings. It could be Surfers Ear (can't think of the medical name). Cold water flushing in the ear canal can cause it to get inflamed. Could also be swimmers ear an infection in out ear canal but if this doesn't happen when your in warm water then does seem likely.

The last thing it could be is mild middle ear barotraumas. Cold water makes equalization significantly harder. You could be forcing some equalizations. Don't force any equalizations and make sure you equalize frequently on descent. Also make sure you're not using valsalva this is much more powerful equalization. So powerful in fact you damage the inner ear.

What are you exact symptoms after? Is there mufflling? Does the ear feel full like water is inside?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forgot to tell you about the ear plugs. Make sure they are vented ear plugs. One brand I know of is Docs Pro Plugs. They slightly warm the water and stops it all from flushing in. Non vented plugs can't be used as they will cause an outer ear barotrauma.

Thanks for the reply.
I use these https://surfears.com/
I'm not 100% sure those are vented. If they are not it's likely you've been suffering from an outer ear barotrauma. If there is blockage in the ear canal the pressure on the outside of ear drum will build. This can inflame the tissue in the war ear canal, rupture blood vessels or in extreme cases rupture the ear drum. Make sure these are vented before you continue to dive with them.

I'm not 100% sure those are vented. If they are not it's likely you've been suffering from an outer ear barotrauma. If there is blockage in the ear canal the pressure on the outside of ear drum will build. This can inflame the tissue in the war ear canal, rupture blood vessels or in extreme cases rupture the ear drum. Make sure these are vented before you continue to dive with them.

Sorry about all my spelling errors my phone has a mind of its own sometimes

I have same problem. Docs Pro Plugs work good for me. Only be careful - I've lost two moving hood on and off my head.

Well, thanks for the replys, i have been spearfishing and i have done the following with good results.

Day before i clean my ears with peroxide hydrogen solution.
Before dive i put some vaseline around my ears Channel.
After the dive i clean again with peroxide hydrogen solution.

I skip this for onde dive and my ears hurt me again. So i kept doing and im feeling fine.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT