• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ear problem! Serious!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mlaen

Making progress...
Jun 22, 2003
What do you guys do when you enter in water in wetsuit?
Do you let some water to get in your hat (btw. what's the real name for that).
I'm asking because when i'm diving i have no equalising problem but when i'm returning to surface it feels like something is pulling my ear outwards. It hurts! Leting water in does not help me!
How do i solve that problem and what is the problem???
Please help me!!!

Ear problems

It sounds like you may need to equalize on the ascent as well as the descent. It sounds rare, but maybe somehow air is not escaping on your ascent.
Do you mean "hood" for hat? I let water into my hood, otherwise sometimes an air bubble prevents me from equalizing on the way down.
Good luck with the problem.

Jim

I have experienced that before, and it was always a little bit of air trapped inside my hood in my ear canal. Before you dive, you must make sure that there is absolutely no air trapped.
If that still happens, then you may want to punch very small holes in the suit where your ears are.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Re: Ear problems

Do you mean "hood" for hat?
Yes I do, ,Thanx i'll use that word from now. :)

It sounds like you may need to equalize on the ascent as well as the descent.

Correct, that's my problem. :(

I have experienced that before, and it was always a little bit of air trapped inside my hood in my ear canal. Before you dive, you must make sure that there is absolutely no air trapped.

I was usually just let the water in but it looks like that wasn't enought. That could be a problem.
Thanx i'll try it next time i go diving.

Reactions: Erik
Ive read that many people mark the hood where it covers the ear canal and then after taking it off of course, heat up a small nail or wire and melt/burn a hole in the hood. That usually seems to take care of the problem.

Re: Ear problems

Jersey Jim said:
It sounds like you may need to equalize on the ascent as well as the descent.

You should never equalize on the ascent. You ears will do it by themselfs.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT