• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ears Tossed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Blesum

Waterman
Jun 23, 2006
Aloha all,

I had a couple of surgeries done to my ears about a month ago getting rid of the ear drums and canals, and sealing them off externally from the ocean. It is a somewhat interesting, questionable and controversial procedure. I searched through the forums here did not turn up anything on this. Knowledge is power, and I thought that this board should have this information in here, and maybe I will find somebody else who might know more about this (or might have had this done) and what to expect as I have not been cleared to resume freediving yet. The surgery procedure has been formally called "Blind Closure of the External Auditory Canal".

I originally posted this at [ame="http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=82561"]spearboard[/ame] and here is a copy and paste of my original post.

Aloha all,

I can't dive for 4 more weeks and am bored so I thought I'd share what I had done several days ago.

I had what is commonly called "Surfers Ear" in both of my ear canals which is abnormal bone growth due to constant exposure to cold wind/water growing up surfing in norcal. The bone around the ear canal grows and presses against the canal, making it smaller. This results in poor hearing, and increased ear infections due to water not being able to drain normally out of the canal. This is formally known as exostosis.
Surfer's Ear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Standard procedure is to chisel away at the bone to restore normal opening diameter to restore hearing and draining ability. The problem rarely comes back.

I decided that if a surgeon was gonna go and play in there, I wanted to at least have some dive-related improvements made at the same time. After asking around and doing some basic research, I decided I didn't want to have the exostosis removed, and to just have my middle ear filled with fat somehow instead.

However, insurance would not go for this, and neither would any ENT doctors because this would make me 100 percent deaf. I was born deaf, and have been about 95% deaf all of my life. I do not rely on my ears for anything other than to hold my glasses on.

After some searching and referrals, I finally found a surgeon who had a crack insurance team and was willing to do something along these lines. Basically they would have to formally do the exostosis surgery in order to get insurance to pay, otherwise it would be $7,400 out of my pocket per ear. On a public school teacher's salary, while living in Hawaii, that's not affordable at all. Plus there would be other fees involved (consultation, anesthesiologist fees, etc).

The doctor is based in Los Angeles and we formally started the process to have it done in my home town since this doctor comes to Hawaii twice a year to do operations/consultations. Perfect right? However, we ran into a big snag. My insurance provider would not pay for the doctor to do this procedure because he was not in the network with my health care provider. However, nobody in Hawaii who was in the network was willing to even consider tackling my surgery project/goals.

That's where his crack team came into play. They figured out that if I had the surgery done outside of Hawaii, my insurance provider then would be required to pay up. So $800 later for plane tickets and a hotel, I was in Los Angeles. :duh

P4090124.jpg

P4090113.jpg

The procedure decided upon was called "Blind Closure of the External Auditory Canal".

Basically they cut most of my ear lobe off so that they can directly access and work into the ear canal and middle ear through a direct and larger opening.

First they chiseled away the bones pressing into the ear canal to open that up. Then they ripped out the ear drum, scraped every bit of skin out of my ear canal except at the opening. At the opening, they carefully peeled the skin back and out of the opening in strips like one would do with a banana - just in reverse. They they stitched up all the loose skin to seal off the ear canal for good.

P4100126.jpg

P4100129.jpg

P4100143.jpg

Nothing was filled into the ear canal or middle ear much to my disappointment - the surgeon felt it was too much of an infection risk and he felt he was pushing it doing both ears at once instead of waiting for the other to recover fully first. Nobody seems to know, but in theory I will not need to clear my ears again while diving, but if I do, it will be much less frequently than I used to. He also believes that I will not be able to damage anything by choosing not to clear my ears, and that with the painful part (ear drum) removed, I will be able to ignore any pressure sensations in there when I dive.

If I find that the air present in the ears present an problem or concern, I can always go back for another surgery where they will drill through my mastoid and inject fat from my stomach to get rid of the air space in there. However that's another 5 weeks out of the water and more money spent so I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

The recovery process has been surprisingly difficult and miserable considering it was supposed to be an outpatient process. I ended up staying in the hospital for 30+ hours afterwards and had to be constantly doped up on strong painkillers for a week before I could even start playing with trying to last a few hours without painkiller support. Yesterday was the first day I've gone without any pain medication. I'm still going strong today. I am not able to open my mouth to eat normally yet.

I had a BBQ on Saturday with burgers and sausages, and I was not able to open my mouth wide enough to eat either of those items. :head Thankfully Daryl Wong and Diver Joe brought over some steak that I was able to cut into tiny pieces and eat. :)

P4180004.jpg

If anybody knows more about this stuff and wants to share, I'm all "ears" or so to speak.
:D

Any questions, just ask.

-Paul

Reactions: Mr. X
VERY interesting thread, thanks for posting. Also best of luck.

I think the doc is wrong about not equalizing. Doing 30 m dives, you will be subjecting any air space to a whole bunch of negative pressure. It may not hurt (no nerves?), but not equalizing will, almost certainly, cause inflammation, blood blisters, bleeding into the air space, or something similar. If that happens, you will be very susceptible to infection. Think about not equalizing a sinus. Continuing to equalize is, at minimum, a great precaution. Will you be able to feel when to equalize?

Your question on what liquid might get up the Eustachian tubes: Any time you equalize, if there is any mucus, sea water, saliva, etc next to the tube opening in your throat, it will get sucked into the tube. When I first started diving straight down with my head straight, I used to get water in my Eustachian tubes, almost every day. Annoying as heck.

They guy who advised "go slow" is on target. This is not something you want to push just to make a tournament.

Connor

This is interesting - if it works (and you don't have to equalize) that will be a HUGE advantage over other divers.

More info please

I agree that not having to equalize will be a big plus. But just so I understand, do you mean you will not have to perform a manual equalization i.e. Valsalva, Frenzel, Fattah etc? Of course if there are any air spaces they MUST be equalized or as Connor pointed out, pressure will force gas, mucus, blood, tissue into that cavity.

Cheers,

Couv

Thanks for posting such a detailed article Blesum, I'm sure there are others that will be find it useful. I hope you are feeling better now!

Jeez that would scare the hell out of me - you seem v. calm about it. I once had a undergraduate intern who was profoundly deaf (as was his v. attractive girlfriend) but he could hear a little bit with powerful hearing aids and that made life so much easier for us. So I was surprised that you are so willing to give up the remaining 5%. I know quite a lot of people sign in the US - far more than here I think (where the signs are different!). A friend in Chicago had a deaf child while I was there, so the whole family started to learn to sign pretty much straight away. Our local Montessori pre-school taught all the kids American Sign Language when we lived near Seattle & I know some folk teach a few basic signs to pre-vocal babies (probably "food", "wind", "wet", "cuddle" - life in a nutshell really:D). Come to think of it, I sold my house there to a British colleague who wore hearing aids - not completely deaf though. But I would think that 5%`could be pretty handy sometimes - or maybe not!

Last edited:
Hello Blesum, Mr.X. et. Al,

Before I go too far off subject (and believe me I will) I am hoping the OP will give us an update and fill in some of the blanks of this very interesting subject.

I used to work for a company where a few of the machinist were deaf. Almost everyone else in the shop chose to learn at least a little ASL not just because we wanted to communicate with the deaf workers, but because there is a certain beauty and elegance in signing.

For a diver….well, what can I say? A few of the hearing co-workers later became some of my (best) students and, wow! What a difference when you don't have to surface to make a simple point clear-no slate, magnadottle, grease pen ect. necessary. It only takes a short amount of time for anyone to learn the ASL alphabet, so anyone can have at least a rudimentary method to use signing underwater or above for that matter. It would be well worth the time to teach new students a few signs and the alphabet prior to going to open water. Years ago, someone attempted to create a "Diver's Sign Language" Why, when there is a perfectly usable sign language available already spoken by millions of people? I'm not saying throw away the signs we all learned in basic open water class, just add a little to it.

Mr. X, my wife works in a Montessori school and now that you mention it, it almost seems strange that some ASL is not covered there, considering the rest of the curriculum.

Cheers,

Couv

Well, I would be very careful regarding the possibility of diving without equalising. If I understood well, the ear drum has been removed and the opening has been sealed. It is true that the change of pressure will not cause pain at the level of the ear drum, but the “point of attack of the external pressure” (so to say) is just moved from the ear drum to the external skin layer covering the ear channel. As your Eustachian tubes are not permanently open, increase of pressure might cause internal squeeze. In addition, this external skin layer might also rupture under sufficiently high pressure (it is hard to estimate its’ mechanical resistance to pressure), and the sudden entry of cold water into the middle ear would cause vertigo and other potentially life-threatening effects. However, theory guides and experiment decides: let us know how it works in practice.
Best wishes,
Radomir

Hello Blesum, Mr.X. et. Al,

Before I go too far off subject (and believe me I will) I am hoping the OP will give us an update and fill in some of the blanks of this very interesting subject.

Sorry for the long-delayed update - one certainly is due!

To answer the main question quickly: Yes, I still do need to clear after all, but considerably less than I used to. Previously, I had to clear every 4-5 feet, and now I only feel the need to clear every 20 feet. I am still doing this manually (valsalva).

I have been spearfishing almost daily since last week when I was cleared to return to the ocean with about 5 outings, all exceeding 70', up to 109' with no dive-related issues other than experiencing sinus pressure twice which was quickly resolved by removing my mask for 30 or so seconds. Sinus pressure symptoms probably related to my mask being on too tight - I lost the snorkel clip and have been shoving my snorkel under my mask strap, making it tighter. I had cut off the loose ends of the straps a year ago for hydrodynamics so I cannot lengthen the mask straps to accommodate the snorkel. :martial

Other issues/complications:

I have not picked up any infections which was my biggest fear.

My saliva glands are still not working 100% and the doctor thinks that this is related to the anesthesia used, and will return to normal levels in due time. It does seem to be improving.

Parts of my ear still feel numb. Doctor says this will take as long as 6 months.

My ears are still not quite even but it's not noticeable anymore unless I point it out. Doctor thinks that this will also continue to improve.

The loss of my 5% hearing was a bit unnerving, but only briefly. In my science class a few weeks ago, we had to blow up some balloons, and a few of them popped. I did not hear them pop, and would not have known they had popped had I not been looking directly at them (or holding one of them) when it occurred. This is when it hit home that I no longer had my 5%. I didn't shed a tear or give it too much further thought after pausing for a few seconds in surprise. I did order 4 Aura Pro Bass Shakers to mount on my sofas for my home theater at home though. I like my sound effects when watching movies!
Parts-Express.com:Aura Pro Bass Shaker | bass shaker transducer tactile transducer butt shaker seat shaker

When I dive, I do not have a sharp pain at my ear drums reminding me to clear almost every few feet, but more of a dull, spread out pressure sensation across my sinus and inner ear. It feels uncomfortable, but not painful and I clear them about every 20 feet while descending.

Would I recommend this surgery to somebody hearing? No.

Would I recommend this surgery to somebody who was deaf, and had problems clearing ears? No - There is still a need to clear ears, get that problem solved first.

It seems as if this experimental surgery will only be suitable for a niche group - deaf individuals who can clear, but have overly sensitive ear drums due to prior breakage/abuse/complications, and wish to not deal with ear drum issues anymore.

-Paul

DSC04536.jpg

P5230109.jpg

le133.jpg

DSC04549.jpg

Reactions: ILDiver
Nice fish Paul, glad the surgery turned out well. Hope to get back over there to dive with you!! Nice fish in the pics bro!

Thanks for the update. Very interesting problem, glad it came out ok.

Connor

Paul,

Thank you for the update. I am very happy your surgery has worked out for you.

Nice fish....well done.

Couv

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT