• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Eating Parrotfish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
uluapounder, i am talking about soldier fish. We have them here too generally same size with the one in the picture. They have thorn but they are wery small and is not visible and does not have toxins as far as i know.:)

uluapounder, i am talking about soldier fish. We have them here too generally same size with the one in the picture. They have thorn but they are wery small and is not visible and does not have toxins as far as i know.

be careful...

The Sabre Squirrelfish, (Sargocentron spinifer), is well-named as its spine is venomous. :yack

thanks sands for the warning, i will not shoot them again coz they are bitch to clean:D

People over here in St. Thomas sell them out of the backof their trucks every day. Have shot a couple and never heard of the people getting sick from them. We have taken them from Sea of Cortez and they get very big there. And man are they tasty!!!!!

Perfect timing, I was also wondering about parrot fish. I too am from fla and had never see people eating them. In Honolulu now, boarding flight to Maui in a couple of minute. I am hoping to put some uhu and other fish on the table this week w/ my 3 prong. If you guys are ever in Honolulu and need spearo gear, go to Maui Sporting goods. They gave me some good advice and I gear prices were good too. Hopefully I will have some pics to post. Gotta try some of those recipies too.

probably parrots ther are not as small and soft as here but in here we don't use three prong coz they rip of easily, solid and accurate head shoot it necessary for them;)

I ate parrot fish in TAHITI AND BORA BORA and it was excellent! but you should ask with the local fisherman in your area about the ciguatera content in parrot fish where you are!!!

in Kuwait we dont have any probs. with parrotfish. a friend once suggested soaking the fish in water with baking soda to get rid of the mucus, but i wouldnt trust him, because he also suggested eating raw potatoes to soak up alcohol (he is a moron!- major understatement)

we dont use prongs for our fish, the majority will rip out right away even with a good solid shot. single barb tahiti, or slip tip is most comon. the trident is only used in head shot to remove groopers from caves wiht a small pneumatic gun at ultra close range

Originally posted by mishu1984
he also suggested eating raw potatoes to soak up alcohol (he is a moron!- major understatement)

He told you the truth:naughty

Obviously the boiled potatos in water works very well so raw ones may be even better for the purpose:yack

noo no no no....its not like that...this is a dude that would eat a sponge or a rag and end up in the er if it were not for people to stop him from doing that. college kids......

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT