• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Eczema reaction with neck weights!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Philip Fennell

Mar 23, 2014
Having found a few threads here on eczema and neoprene wetsuits I wanted to recount a recent incident that I had with eczema and my neck weights.

Firstly, I have never suffered from eczema before so this is quite out of the ordinary for me. Secondly, I have been using the same neck weights for the last two years. The weights are made of the usual butyl inner tubes and I always rinse them after a pool session.

Last week I noticed a few small marks on the back of my neck, like insect bites, but thought little of it and used some Anthisan on them. Due to some additional irritation from wearing a fleece necked jacket the marks expanded into a rash all around the back of my neck and collar bone in the exact place I wear my weights. What seals this as being weight related is that I also use a 1kg 'bumb' weight, that's made from lead shot in a wide inner-tube that forms a pillow shaped parcel, which I put in the back of my trunks and I also developed the same rash at the base of my spine.

The doctor prescribed some steroidal cream, that seems to be doing the job of calming things down, but the big question here is - is this done with or have I got an on-going issue now with butyl? I guess time will tell.

Has anyone else out there had a similar experience with neck weights and/or neoprene, that came out of nowhere, and did they ever know the trigger. I guess there may have been an issue with the pool chemicals or it might have been something unrelated that sensitised my skin.

Dammed nuisance though!

When I'm diving multiple hours and not wearing a hood, the neck weight(buytl rubber bicycle inner tube) eventually gets irritating. I think mine is just physical abrasion. Made a collar of a strip of nylon two sided 2 mil neoprene and velco. Looks goofy but solved the issue.

Thanks for the feedback @Porky Pig and @cdavis. I'm starting to think that something else triggered my skin sensitivity but no idea what and, as you say @cdavis, the rubbing of the weights irritated the skin rather than the butyl rubber itself. Its cost me a week's training so far on the run-up to Bristol Blue which is mildly irritating both figuratively and literally!

This close to the competition, two weeks, there's probably not a lot that the physical training will add so I'm taking the opportunity to concentrate on the mental side from here on in.

I have previously cut up an old stretchy running top, sewed down one side to make a tube, turned it inside out to hide the seam, and slid over my neck weight. Makes it more comfortable but means it slides around a bit more. Maybe try that, and or a good coating of electrical tape.

Reactions: Philip Fennell
I've use textile sports tape from the drugstore over the tube. Flexible, save, slip resistant, many colors :D

Reactions: Philip Fennell
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT