• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Edmonton long weekend...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JMD

May 10, 2001
Looks like we'll be in edmonton for the long weekend in September. Should be busy with west ed mall et al, but thought I might hit twin on the way in to town on saturday (after little jim shamed me back into diving yesterday).

<<Warning: it's been eight months since i've had fins on, I plan to suck, a lot>>

Sounds good James. We should get everyone together. Erik, haven't been diving with you for a while - need too. JP we need to hear about your coast trip. I just finished a week of hiking in Kananaskis and visited a remote high altitude lake with an isolated cutthroat trout population and excellent vis. I wish I had had my dive gear and will visit again some time. I am still in Calgary and plan to dive tomorrow morning in Minnewanka...anyone available?

lee

feign said:
I just finished a week of hiking in Kananaskis and visited a remote high altitude lake with an isolated cutthroat trout population and excellent vis.
lee

In high altitude lakes the fish take a long time to grow so remember it easy to make a dent in the population.

Twin it is on Saturday Sep 3. 3 amigos split gas in 1 car would be sensible.

Erik

it's gotta warm up dudes, i've got a winter jacket on today...

Don't worry, the wetsuit will keep you warm, even if it snows :)

yeah, florida pretty much spoiled me, i don't even like the idea of having to wear a wetsuit at this point...

Good times at Twin with Paul and Lee! Huge perch! I saw at least 10,000 perch, some pushing 1lb, and probably 2000 jackfish, from a few ounces up to 8 or 9 lbs!
Learned a new stalking technique with the perch too :)
Erik

Had a good morning dive with Erik and Paul at Twin. James D, I hope we didn't miss you at the lake. We assumed that you hadn't come up.

feign said:
Had a good morning dive with Erik and Paul at Twin. James D, I hope we didn't miss you at the lake. We assumed that you hadn't come up.

He went to the largest concentrations of submarines in Canada: WEM.

Hey guys, I'll be moving to Edmonton next year, I'm from Australia, but currently living in London UK.

Pic below, Cornwall, South Coast, England. Got a few nice Pollock

Looking forward to meeting up with you...

Save some fish for meeeeee!

Marc.

Attachments

• Cornwall 015.jpg
    Cornwall 015.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Cheers Marc, look us up when you get here amigo :)
Erik

Sounds good. I look forward to having another spearfishing partner.

Cool guys, looks like I'm going to be set for buddys!

I'd love to see some pic's of the lakes your diving if you have any?

Cool, thanks mate, it would be nice to see some lake pic's where your diving... What type of vis are you getting, and how deep are the lakes?

The last dive I had here (England) the water was 15c in temp, your water must been quite a bite cooler than that I would imagine :confused:

Marc here are some photos. Pic 27 is Cold lake. Pic 17 is Lake Minnewanka. Pic 20 is Waterton lake. Pic 37 is Twin Lake. Twin is our favorite close to Edmonton, only 1 hour away. Vis for Twin probably averages 15 ft. Surface temp is up to 20 C in the summer, but below 10 meters it is 4 C year round. Max depth is 35 m. We hunt perch and freshwater ling cod in this lake. On the other hand the mountain fed lakes (eg Minnewanka & Waterton) get to about 10 C surface in the summer. Cold lake is on the Saskatchewan border, where with a Sask license we can hunt anything that has gills. Max depths of the bigger lakes (not twin) is beyond what any of us can dive 100 + meters. Although, more depth can be far out from shore. I hope this gets you excited.

lee

Attachments

• PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 226
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 226
  • PICT0027.JPG
    PICT0027.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 221
  • PICT0037.JPG
    PICT0037.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
B.T.W do you guys do much kayak diving? I was thinking about buying a tandom kayak for when I got there. I did heaps of kayak diving in Australia and found it to be the way to go. Ocean Kayaks seem to be the best I've seen.

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT