• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

El Quesier

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pastor

Supporter
Supporter
Mar 17, 2004
Does anyone have any information on this place? It looks relatively untouched compared with Hurgahda or Sharm. Has anyone dived that area?

Does anyone have any information on this place? It looks relatively untouched compared with Hurgahda or Sharm. Has anyone dived that area?

sounds like a place that makes cheese rofl

I've been already three times in this area. Compared to Hurghada and Sharm it is relativly untouched, but in general the cost of southern Egypt becomes more touristic. Most dive are done form shore along drop-offs and in small bays. Boat dives are pretty rare. From El Quseir you can reach some excellent dive spots:
- Elphinstone Reef (Oceanic Whitetip Sharks)
- Marsa Abu Dabbab (Dugong, Turtles)
- Dolphin House (Spinner Dolphins)
Even on "normal" spots you have beautiful corals and if you're lucky some pelagic fish (eagle ray, napoleons, ...).
Definitly worth a trip.

MANUEL

Attachments

• El Quseir.JPG
    El Quseir.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 214
  • El Quseir (1).JPG
    El Quseir (1).JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 222
  • El Quseir (2).JPG
    El Quseir (2).JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 211
  • El Quseir (3).JPG
    El Quseir (3).JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: Pastor
Cheers bro! Cost isn't an issue, the trip is a freebie. I just wanted to know a little about the diving before hand. I did some searches on those dive sites and came up with loads of information, thanks. How deep is the drop off along the shore line? (along the base of the wall)
Elphinstone Reef looks like it should be worth a trip, a nice day out and a good dive :) I would love to see some hammerheads, well you never know your luck

its a beautiful spot and besides the dive sites mentioned above (which are closer to Marsa Allam not Queseir), youve got the Brothers islands, about 5 hour boat ride east from Quseir (midway between egypt and saudi)... all the hammerheads you need will be there, but the trip costs a lot as only boats with certain size/equipment are allowed to go...

Reactions: Pastor
Are there boats actually going out of El Qusier? I thouht they just went out of Saffaga and Marsa Allam. Might be worth considering then if so

the bots are mostly out of hurghada or marsa allam....

man that IP detector is creepy :) i feel im being watched :)

Yeah but it's not very clever
Will probably head down to Marsa Allam then and try Elphinstone, the brothers seem just a little to far away on a day trip, I think a liveaboard would be easier but you never know, we might go for it :)

Well it's not a spearfishing destination as spearfishing is illegal but we're all divers aren't we and we all need time off with our families so here's somewhere that is ideal.

Normally I would never recommend a hotel but in view of the efforts made by this particular one to preserve the coral reef deserve it's mention. The Moevenpick el Quesier is situated on the west coast of the Red Sea about 160 Km south of Hurghada. Those familiar with Hurghada will be very aware of the environmental impact tourism has had. Travelling south past Safaga leaving behind the hotels and ravages to the reef the coast becomes barren of man's intervention with mile after mile of unspoilt reef top just yards from the beach.

quesier_2007_road_130.jpg

Arriving at the hotel is an unremarkable experience as these things usually are, it is only after an hour or so that you become aware of the aparent restrictions to where the visitor may actually enter the water. The hotels beach is situated in a small bay protected from the ever present waves of the Red Sea. At one end is the jetty used by both hotel guests and the Subex dive centre, a 400 meter beach then runs back towards the hotel. In the middle of this beach is a small lane about 50 meters wide marked by red buoys which apart from the jetty is the only access to the sea. Initially this seems a bit much but after a while it sinks in that it doesn't affect you very much, the sea is never crowded in the lane but more importantly the natural ecology of the reef top is preserved and can be seen from the terraces of the hotel, in comparison with similar reef tops in Sharm el Sheikh or Dahab this is very much alive.

quesier_2007_jetty_242.jpg

quesier_2007_beach_149.jpg

The no go area is enforced by the some of the hotels team of life guards who sit up in a tower opposite the swim lane. An attempt to enter the water anywhere but there will result in a whistle being blown and the life guard running up the beach to explain to you why (fair enough I thought) but the worst is you feel a right nob as the whole beach will be looking at you!

OK so that's how the hotel is helping to protect it's assets but in the water this ethos seems to continue as the whole reef is in remarkable condition for a hotel that has been there for 12 years. The beach starts off shallow and steadily deepens off to around 7-8 metres where there is a row of buoys across the bay that stop power boats from the dive centre getting t close to the swimmers. Along both sides of the swim lane the reef is a spectacular sight for all those new to snorkelling. A safe area for your children to explore the wonders of the coral reef in safety. Crystal clear waters sheltered from the open sea allow even the uninitiated to enjoy views of just about every type of fish in the Red Sea.

quesier2007_view_200.jpg

quesier2007_coral_139.jpg

Moving beyond the buoyed off inner bay the sea bed drops off to about 20 meters allowing the more experienced free or scuba diver access to more adventurous waters. Then out at the bay mouth the sea bed drops off in excess of 40 meters providing excellent deep diving for anyone who wants it. These lettuce corals are at about 30 meters

quesier2007_letuce_369.jpg

Access from the jetty is simple enough, either walk down the well maintained steps of just jump in off the side. Water depth is about 7 meters at this point but for such a busy area the reef is in pristine condition, I was very impressed by this. Talking with the staff of the Subex dive centre I was told how they are red hot keen on their "HANDS OFF" policy on the reef and it showed. So there you have it, a resort on the Red ea that provides just about everything for the family as well as superb water action for them all. But there is more! The bay is visited about every 3 days by a small pod of dolphins. These seem to attract a lot of attention to the snorkellers in the water who dash off to see them. I must admit to having mixed feelings about this at first but the dolphins seemed to love it, playing amongst the swimmers for 2 hours at a time, as luck would have it I didn't have my camera with me when I was with them but my wife took this and I'm assured my arse is sticking up somewhere here

quesier_2007_dolphins_683.jpg

Other regular visitors to the bay are Eagle rays which I saw on 2 occasions, once an up close and personal experience but abain my camera was on the beach. This encounter was at 20 meters but the ray was having none of me as this was the best I could manage as it disappeared into the depths

quesier2007_eagleray_374.jpg

Turtles are another regular visitor and lay their eggs on the beach which is then fenced off in that area. I met this one at about 18 meters and swam with it for a while.

quesier2007_turtle_752.jpg

Blue spotted sting rays abound in all depths. I saw this guy at about 25 meters but he shot off into a small cave just before I took the shot, it turned out to be a good thing as he looks quite good here

quesier2007_stingray_318.jpg

I have seen big morays before swimming in the open and have always found them intimidating to say the the least. So it was with some initial alarm that I welcomed this guy to swim with me for about 10 minutes. Now when I say swim with me I mean exactly that, it was very interested in me and came up close to look at me but showed no aggression what so ever. Bear in mind that those butterfly fish are about 12cm 5 inches long.

quesier2007_moray_494.jpg

quesier2007_morayswim_947.jpg

Now when it comes to fishing this guy takes some beating! A pair of fish eagles live next door to the hotel and fish the reef top daily. I took this short sequence of the master in action

quesier_2007_eagle_168.jpg

quesier_2007_eagledive_117.jpg

quesier_2007_eaglefish_187.jpg

He never missed!

Well there you have it, well some of it. I certainly hope that didn't sound to much like a commercial but In view of the work they are doing I hope others may actually see it as an excellent destination for the family with the prospect of good diving for them all.

Last edited:
wow those dolphins are great, love the clear bay - dunno about the lifeguards, i would also feel like a right idiot rofl

Looks like a nice hideaway holiday , with beautiful vis and not surrounded by loads of other hotels.

I am looking for your arse but cant find it rofl

wow those dolphins are great, love the clear bay - dunno about the lifeguards, i would also feel like a right idiot rofl

Looks like a nice hideaway holiday , with beautiful vis and not surrounded by loads of other hotels.

I am looking for your arse but cant find it rofl

holy F__K!!! rofl rofl rofl
you need to use that little shower thing that you find in egyptian hotels.... with ice cold water rofl rofl

island_sands and you call your self a traveller , sweety if you aint been to marsa allam in the south coast of Egypt then you simply have been no where .... what an ignorant statment of "they make cheese up there" no blondie we dont make cheese in marsa allam we simply import our cheese from where ever the fuck youre from .... if you havent dove the soth including marsa allam then your simply a fresh fish , you would beg for a gorgeous spot like marsa allam where ever the hell your from , instead of the cold ass, freezing tempreature , zero visibility , murky waters you have in your cheese producing contry ... dont speak out of your ass babe if you aint never visited or seen a certain place simply shut the fuck up and keep your ignorant racist air headed comments to your self till you simply dooooo....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT