• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Elios Wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sublimished

the white whale
May 2, 2004
I am planning to order a tailor made wetsuit from Elios. I've been talking to them via email, and for a first timers wetsuit and trying not to get too expensive I decided to get a nylon elastic outside with either titanium coating inside or regular thermic plush inside. The titanium would cost 25-30 dollars more.

My question is for anyone who has used these types of insides - I am willing to pay the extra money if the titanium is more comfortable on the skin and I know it is more warm. However I do not want it if it is significantly more fragile than the thermic plush. The outside is nylon so it will be protected, but will the titanium wear out very soon? When it starts wearing off will it leave the neoprene open cell, therefore requiring lube to get into?

I am just looking for a decent suit that will last me the next two summers?

Any comments would help, thanks.

Don't know about ellios suits, but anyhow. I dont think that you should worry so much about the suit being too fragile.
I personally own yamamoto suit with open cell inside and outside ( about as fragile suit as you can have ), it has taken some damage, but it is still a very good suit.

What I'm trying to say is that I would think that any suit would last you two summers or even more. Take the one that is warmest and dont worry about fragility of the suit, just get some good neoprene glue and fix the suit in case of some minor tearing.

Tuomo

I've gotten a couple of suits from Elios, they are great. I have a smoothskin outside and superelastic lining inside. It's very stretchy. The thing that limits a wetsuits stretch the most is actually the lining inside and out. ie the stretchiest wetsuit has no nylon inside or out, but it is also the most fragile.

If you get the titanium lining it will be more stretchy then the plush. With the nylon outside the suit it should be pretty strong and wont rip. I have gotten a few nicks in my smoothskin suit but because of the superelastic inside they don't go all the way through so it doesn't rip. Easy to fix with a bit of glue.

Some of the gold or silver linings do wear eventually, not sure about the elios wetsuits. Even worn off it's still easier to get on then opencell.

You could also consider nylon outside, and superelastic inside. The superelastic is much stretchier then the standard nylon.

Cheers,
Wal

My Wife have a 5mm Elios Superelastic lining outside /Black coating inside
superelastic is much stretchier nylon but also more fragil
The suit is very warm. If you need this for pure apnea go with it. Cost ca 230 Euro

I have an Elios suit with nylon outside/gold lining inside. Linining looks like somebody painted inside of the suit with a gold color paint. If you strech the neoprene you can see black between gold spots. I can not comment on lining's durability since I have not used is that much. Suit seems to be pretty durable. It is also very comfortable to put on/take off and no lube is required. World of difference with a skin-in suit. However I do believe that the skin-in suit is warmer since it gets stuck to the body.

They messed up the right sleeve a bit so the fit is not perfect but were very cooperative and helpful during the ordering process.
They definitely want your business.

How much do they charge for shipping these days?

Shipping is about 60 euro for FedEX, and about 39 euro for slower postal.

So I guess I will go with the titanium inside. Thanks for the help :)

One more question, with a nylon outside, how necessary would kneepads be? I am just concerned about some slightly rocky/rough beach entrys, how much would kneepads help?

Kneepads

I say definitely get the kneepads. They do not impede flexibility but you most definitely will be bumping into something with your knees. With my suit they only cost 10 Euros. And their kneepads are not as thick as the ones on an average scuba suit

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT