• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Elite athletes

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ivan

looking for deeper water
Jan 26, 2002
hi

My brain has been bothering me to ask some questions so I will try my best to say what I think.

Having recently watched World swimming champs, African long distance runners, World class cyclists doing the tour of france.

I thought to myself these guys dont have normal jobs but instead spend all there life/time training, most of todays world record freedivers have normal jobs, ie Herbet Nitsch - Pilot etc so naturally they dont get as much time to train as athletes in other sports.

I woulda thought that that swimmers, runners etc would be physically in better shape in all areas than todays best freedivers.

So my question is if say someone like Ian thorpe decided to dedicate himself to apnea would he not be incredible having large lungs and training all his life. What about those Long distance African runners from the mountains in Kenya and ethiopia, these guys are incredibly skinny and fit and have a small amount muscles to use Oxygen. If these guys decided to dedicate themselves to static apnea would they not reach incredible numbers.

It has been bothering me to ask cos I would like to know how much the world records would increase if someone had 7days a week to 24hours a day free time to train in apnea.

Am i totally mistaken, what are your thoughts.

cheers

Hi !

I must say you got me thinking...
Todays atlets are achiveing amazing resaults already, moust of them i will probably never get close too...

I personaly don't think a cyklist would do much diference in seting records at least not in the near future. I belive training is much to diferent in a sence of mental preparation.
I belive it would need at least a few years of full time training to get close to setting a world record. (i might be wrong)

I is interesting to imagine what kind of depths would freedivers achive if they had 24/7 time to train with no worries about the sponsors, organization and other stuff.

Jure

hi

Yeah I mean to be the best in swimming you cant have a normal job cos to many athletes are training all day, but freedivers are still able to have a job as well as set new records. It would be truly awsome to let someone train like athletes in other sports.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT