• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Emmewood / Andre spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Natural Selection

Sep 23, 2015
Hey all,

Has anybody heard of / owned a gun from either these brands?..

Emmewood: by Italian wood artist Enzo Montaruli, indie

Andre: I'm sure some of you have heard / bought

Basically I'm in the market for a wood roller with a specific set of features, and these are the 2 leading contenders. However both makers have a limited online footprint and I'm finding it difficult to verify quality and reputation.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I am currently using the 75 model, it really is out of this world!!!
sea hwak sub.jpg

Reactions: foxfish
Wow monk, that's a unique piece. Why is the stock vented? That gun makes me want to revive the "indie spear gun" thread.

I'm going out on a limb here but I am pretty sure that the vents are there to ensure a faster tracking !
The gun needs to be stiff enough so that the stock doesn't flex when loaded ... that is normally achieved by upping the mass of the body... that also helps dispersing some of the energy of the shot hence giving you less recoil.
Due to the high mass that is working against us when we are moving the gun sideways the manufacturers have considered using different shapes so the guns track better... and so the cuttle bone shape came into play.
This is taking it to a whole new level... I am only spearing for a few months and I don't know exactly how innovative this design is but I would certainly think that the design on this gun is on the edge ! I would certainly want one !!!

Selenium, you are correct. The vents are there to ensure a faster tracking, along with the channels that are cut into the stock the elastic bands do not cause any traction, this means that the spear gun cuts through the water like a knife.
tracking.jpg

The mass of the body along with the shape of the handle, (that is chosen in regards to ones glove size), ensures that the recoil is minimum, I'd like to go out on a limb and say that the recoil is zero.
reciol.jpg

I have been using this gun now for the last 2 months and in that time my other guns have just (are just) sitting about collecting dust. This gun is really another level.

Happy fishing

If I am spending many thousands of dollars on travel, charters, etc, to hunt a fish, then a couple of thousand dollars on a reliable speargun isnt really going to be much of an issue. I know folks who spend three or four times that on a speargun.:) At that price that gun looks like good value to me.

I never had a wood barreled gun. This laminate, I wonder how will it last? How is wood stabilized and sealed? I know that pretty much all wood workers have their own proprietary tricks and different compounds. The question is how good is this one. If barrel does not last, how much is that fish going to cost me. Call me crazy, but I consider cost of gas driving to a fishing spot.

I still have a timber gun over 30 years old in my go to guns. Weekly I see timber guns made over a quater century ago still being used. The main reason I dont use more older guns from my collection is that the shapes & ballast have slightly improved (as have the finishes). Laminates should be done with a good epoxy & the guns surface should be finished with a good "2 pack' polyurethane. If you really are looking for the best surface & finish, epoxy first, then sand back & several more coates of a good 2 pac. I see some very nice timber guns finished with oil & cant help but think its a shame to not finish & look after them properly.

I consider the cost of wasted time & effort if I loose that one great fish because of substandard gear or a lack of preperation. How does one also put a value on absolute confidence in your gear? If you have lost confidence in your gun, change it & find one you do trust or you will just waste more time & resources. I figure the true cost for me to chase fish like tuna is well over $1000 per day, even sharing charter/fuel/travel expenses & factoring in lost income. The speargun market is full of spearos with the same attitude as myself & this is why we see some really great choices in semi custom guns from all around the world.

Reactions: Andrew the fish
I have been using my Sea Hawk now for about 5/6 months and all I can say is "Wow"! It costs 850 euro's. Ok it isn't cheap, however it is hand made in every single detail, the trigger and all parts are made in-house, (if you think about all work that has gone into this project it really is very well priced). As I said before the left/right tracking on this this gun fantastic it really does cut through the water.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT