• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Empty lungs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Roaz,
I asked if doing statics with negatives and contractions was bad for you in the “Get high and get on down: a response” thread, [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=58488"]Get high and get on down: a response[/ame] . Alum responded with some good thought, but no others.

For the last two weeks I’ve been doing Sebestians Murat’s suggestion that the result of IHT obtained by Mark at the Apitude Centre could be duplicated through empty lung statics. No comment yet on the results as I am not going to do a full lung static until I have done empty lungs for 3 weeks.

I started out doing it with 3 negative packs and it did not feel good with contractions. It felt like my lungs were going to implode. My throat also felt like it was ready to collapse and afterwards it was be sore.

Since then I have tried statics with passive exhale holding a slight amount in and forceful complete exhale similar to what a person does with a lung volume test. I have settled on full forceful exhale, because the pain from contractions wasn’t that bad (much better than negatives) and a passive, not full, exhale added about 20 seconds to each hold, which just took longer than I wanted when doing seven sets.

I have found that in the first hold, I may have to quit early to avoid strong contractions, but after the first I seem to be okay. I don’t feel like any damage is happing, in fact I’m feeling pretty good energy and strength wise.
don

Don,

Missed this thread ... they seem to appear and then dissapear so quickly!

My suggestion would be to keep discussions on exhales under the FRC category.

Some'deeper' insights into boosting the number of red blood cells:

To gain the optimal benefits of 'exhales' from a heamatological point of view there are some fundamental requirements which I suspect may be quite different to those relating to myoglobin (intramuscular) O2 stores.

In my experience, noteable increases in Hct, during apnea, is only achieved when coupled with exercise and warm peripheral conditions, leading to a reduced dive response. That is, there should be minimal muscular fatigue. This is because a patent peripheral circultion will result in more rapid and extensive HbO2 desaturation. Moreover, such a regime can be continued for quite a while before fatgue eventually sets in. This can't be achieved if muscles are cold, since this would lead to excessive waste product accumulation, protracted recoveries and a reduced number of repetition that could be undertaken. My 63% Hct was achieved in this manner, i.e., 50-60 x 50m dynamics in 35" with 35" recoveries / 3-4 times per week for over a year.

With the type of training I've been doing since then, i.e., 1-4 @ 90-100% (ideally 100%) of max effort, I'm focusing on magnifying the dive response in the aim of generating a more prompt and stronger metabolic down-regulation. Although this often leads to extreme muscular fatigue and I can't do many reps, I don't become overly desaturated, which is not necessarily conducive to boosting my Hct. That's ok, however, as I've learnt that max performances don't simply hinge on elevated Hct, but on being able to tap into your muscles, so that muscular failure is likely towards the end of the dive. No one said it would be easy! Correspondingly, doing this type of sensitization training has resulted in a gradual reversion to close to baseline Hct levels but my performances are better.

Seb

Reactions: DeepThought
i can go for a long time with no air in my lungs. with contractions(which i feel are very pleasantly powerful).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT