• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

enclosed tracks?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Scavoo

Jan 9, 2003
i have a friend who uses and is a huge proponent of the prodonovich guns, and seems to take his share of WSB. i began to research their guns more, and Bill Kitto (who helps make the guns i guess) uses all enclosed tracks. i noticed that riffe also has an enclosed track system optional for the MT series, and i've been curious about it. prodonovich and kitto claim that the enclosed track prevents the shaft from bending with higher power, so you get better accuracy with the increased power to your gun. what are the pros and cons of enclosed tracks as far as any of you have experienced or heard about?

Last edited:
Try this, I hope it works. An old post on EC track.

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=25290&highlight=enclosed+track

BTW Welcome to DB. :D

It seems Riffe EC track is not a pure EC track like the rest. I have not hold one....soon. Riffe primary intention is to allow freeshafting, not purely shaft whip control.

Other EC guns have very low tolerance on its EC, tight fitting to shaft. I read somewhere at Adernaline Forum that since tight fitting create vacuum when shaft launch out, EC at some point create extra drag. If you see an engine piston moving in a liner, that is the exact vacuum action.....possible...possible..:confused:

Last edited:
I remember reading about the vacuum effect... something about the force of the water being sucked into the track to fill the vacany the shaft leaves creates drag. From my engineering classes for fluid dynamics it seems very reasonable; however, my personal opinion is that it's negligible.

Does anyone around here ever use freeshafting? :confused: Did before with my hawaiian sling... but got tired of chasing fish/shafts & losing them :(

The vacuum thing is best illustrated with the occurance of "bank suction"- that is, when a hull moves through a narrow body of water, like a river, the hull displaces water as it moves, often pissing off the beach folks. As the hull passes the water fills back in and sucks the beach with it. It also acts to "suck" the keel of the hull down too, so if you draft 8', figure on needing 9+' to keep things moving.

Jack P'S guns are epic, pure So Cal WSB guns, the real thing and are veeeeery much sought after. They rate huge smooth points.
You score one and ever need to off it, call. Collect!

sven

if you ever want to see "bank suction" at its finest, come take a ride when we are evacuating the marinas for a hurricane...get about 300 yachts going up narrow rivers and that suction is amazing...the property owers are not as amused however and can sometimes be seen standing in their flooded yards with shotguns:naughty ...and you dont want to be anywhere near one of those huge steel shrimpers back there...

or you could just look at my account statement for a more detailed look at bank suction:cool:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT