• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Endurance prob

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nicky

May 10, 2002
Hi everyone,
Been reading all your great threads on how to train for freediving, but I haven't replied cos I don't know enough of what you are talking about :)) ). However, I was hoping you could help me. I swim twice a week, play soccer in Premier League three times a week, and also touch football once a week. I was looking for some ideas about how I could improve my endurance. See I've always been a sprint type of person, not endurance, and I've learnt that this is real important to reach any type of hightened fitness. I've always had trouble doing plain running for more than a few km's at a time, cos my knees and ankles start to hurt. I have found (did a little research plus observing) that there are people who are naturally better at endurance events/sports, and some who are better at sprinting, or events where ATP (Adenosine Tri-Phosphate, a type of chemical that gives you the first burst of energy) is used.
So! How could I improve my endurance without stuffing myself?:crutch
Ta
Nicky :girlie

Nicky,

you seem to be in quite good shape. with all of the sports you do, i think that you are getting a 6 good sessions of endurance training a week (thats quite a few) if you add any number of training sessions to that you run a risk of overtraining (wearing your self out/burning out/hitting the wall) and it will take a few weeks to recover. the younger crowd (like you and me :D) run a lower risk of this because we recover alot quicker, but its still possible (trust me on this one, dont try it yourself:duh )

how long are the practices for soccer, and touch football, and what do they consist of>?
how long do you swim>? do you just do one speed, or do you sprints and easy lenghts alternating>?

if you are set on getting your endurance up, try doing something at 160-190 bpm (heart rate) for about an hour. if you have weak knees and ankles, try biking (off road is alot more fun) and make sure you get your seat set at the right height so you dont ruin your knees (email me if you need help with this). you could also try swimming for longer distances, at the same heart rate (make sure not to tire yourself out to much if you swim in the ocean)

if you are better at shorter runs and sprints you probably have more short twitch muscles, not as effecient at slow twitch muscles for endurance (i cant sprint at all, im full of slow twitch muscles) but i dont know which is better for freediving.

if you need any help with cycling feel free to PM or email me

hope this helps,

Thanks for the info Vincent,
Ok here is exactly what I do:
Mon - study
Tues - Soccer, this includes 15mins of fitness (like jogging and sit/push ups that sort of thing) 15mins of sprints, 1hr of ball work (trickly stuff and shots on goal), 15min little game (in a small area concentrating on small passes and controlling the ball) and a warm down (quick jog and stretches)
Wednesday - Swimming in total 1hr 45mins. Includes about 20mins of sprints (but not together - like 5 mins here, 10 mins there etc. and of different strokes, I'm a butterflyer so I usually do these in the "choice" section) and the rest is just sets, like kick set, arm only, they vary. Occasionally we do 1500/2000m of freestlye which takes about half an hour.
Also I do touch footy. Its a game that goes for 40mins (20min halves). Hope you are familliar with the game - let me know if you are not.
Thursday - Soccer again, though concentrating more on the mental and fitness side of the game (as opposed to skill work). 1.5hr total.
Friday - study (no sport)
Sat - Soccer game (going for about 1.5hrs)
Sun - try to dive if I can and if the weather is good.
The reason I'm trying to get a fitter (is that a word?) is that I am thinking of going in the bluewater classic which is held in my home town (Woolgoolga) in March. here is a good site if you are interested in it:
www.chbf.aunz.com
When I was little I used to do Ballet (how do you spell that?) and I've noticed that I have really short calf muscles which means that they get sore easily. Do you have any stretches for that?
I will get back into riding when I get my chain fixed, it snapped the other day.
Thanks,
Nicky

Alrighty - so what do you think I could do? I don't have mounds of time but I think I could spare some...
Nicky

sorry for not responding sooner :rcard

since your week is fairly busy already, the only way i could see to improve your endurance without effecting your other sports would be to put in a long (1.5-2) endurance session(biking is good for this long, but you could also swim) on sunday, either before or after the dive (dont know which is best)

on thursday you might also try to go for a ride/swim after your soccer (so you dont effect your soccer) for about 45min-1hour

with all that you do right now, i dont think there is much else you can do

just lots of stretching and a nice warm up before any workout/practice

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT