• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ephedrin at gymwork?????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

aydin

Sep 8, 2003
Hello freedivers,
As a spearfisher I have learned too much from DB.
A friend of mine who is a serious freediver will begin a 6 months of training program for a freediving competition, wants from me to ask a question to the board:
That for only at gym work, the instructors at the gym house adviced to him to use ephedrine to lessen the muscle pain?,to motivate him and activate when working the workouts at the gym??
Is this drug have any benefits to him when dry training??,any hazardous effects??Thanks foryour comments..
Aydýn

I don't advise to use it

aydyn,

I would advise your friend not to use it especially if he's considering training for freediving. Ephedrine or Mu huang or the like stimulat Beta receptors in the heart which increase heart-rate. They also cause hypertension and if one has an existing heart condition, they can literally drop dead and die from its use. It is analogous to our natural form of adrenaline, which is released during our "flight or fight" response...not exactly the state one wants to be in when freediving.

Good luck to your friend and I'm sure others will post their opinions.

Ephedrine

Rolando you are absolutely right about the effects of ephedrine to the body. However, some divers who have problems with their sinuses try some pseudephedrine (Sudafed) the night before diving. It seems to help as it is a decongestant and it is less sedating than Benadryl and other antihistamines. It works on the alpha adrenergic receptors in the peripheral vessels (sinuses, nose, etc). It has less of a beta effect but it still stimulates the sympathetic system which is not desirable for freediving (we usually leave this job to the bull sharks that come out of the murk here in South Florida).

Angelos

There is no reason to use ephedrine or pseudoephedrine. Taking a decongestant (in my opinion), is not smart at all--there are many other ways to clear the sinuses naturally. Both of these products will cause nothing but problems in the long term (in my opinion).

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Re: Ephedrine

Originally posted by frogman
Rolando you are absolutely right about the effects of ephedrine to the body. However, some divers who have problems with their sinuses try some pseudephedrine (Sudafed) the night before diving. It seems to help as it is a decongestant and it is less sedating than Benadryl and other antihistamines. It works on the alpha adrenergic receptors in the peripheral vessels (sinuses, nose, etc). It has less of a beta effect but it still stimulates the sympathetic system which is not desirable for freediving (we usually leave this job to the bull sharks that come out of the murk here in South Florida).

Angelos

Angelos, I agree. Also, remember that the adrenergic receptors are throughout our body and will cause an increase in BP regardless, which along with the kick in HR is still not condusive to freediving or at least performing well at it. Since, his friend is not experiencing sinus symptoms as of yet and has been recommended to use a decongestant for a reason other than what you state, I think that it's best to recommend against its use.

In addition, Angelos, although pseudoephedrine may clear the sinuses, so would a non-sedating anti-histamine (loratadine or fexofenadine) which are now available over the counter and do not increase heart rate as much as direct adrenergic or beta receptor agonists.

My advice once again, DO NOT USE IT!

Originally posted by efattah
There is no reason to use ephedrine or pseudoephedrine. Taking a decongestant (in my opinion), is not smart at all--there are many other ways to clear the sinuses naturally. Both of these products will cause nothing but problems in the long term (in my opinion).

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada
Eric,
What are some of the natural ways you're refering to? I'm very interested in this because for about two weeks in early spring and two weeks in early fall I sneeze about 6,000 times a day and my nose runs all the time.:waterwork It's amazing one person can have that much mucas in their system.:yack
It screws up my diving something terrible.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Stitch

Some friends and from school learned that using a netti pot, which looks just like a miniature tea pot works as long as properly used.
A saline solution(sea salt not iodized salt with some warm water) placed into the container and the head tilts sideways and nose slightly towards the ground with the spout shoved into the upper nostril and just let the solution gently flow... you will have clear nose all the time.....cheap, safe, no meds and it does work once you get the hang of it.
Anyone with allergies, sinus congestion, colds will benefit.

Thanks for all the replies friends, I am also sure and against ephedrine or any drugs when training or freediving. But his gym instructor who is an bodybuilder had advised to my friend to use this drug.It is normal I think ,because they have used to get anabolizing hormones,growth hormones,steroids and many things which are very hazardous for life.
I am also MD ,I also know that ephedrine is never acceptable for freediving but he esp. want to hear your advice .
Thanks for your advices Rolando,Angelos and Eric...

aydyn,

If your friend needs a little "boost" before a workout, tell him to have some espresso type coffee (In Miami, it's Cuban for me). Caffeine is safer, has a shorter half-life and when taken in moderating, it's beneficial as a mental stimulant, but yes tell your friend to tell those Steroid Monkeys to stick their Ephedra where the sun don't shine:D

Cheers,

My friend Doug Morgan (FD 48)had problems with ear-clearing until he started snorting seawater. I saw him do it and it worked. I have tried it too and it is not that unpleasant really. Just inhale some salt water up into the sinuses then spit the water out your mouth.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Me too. After aborting many dives this year to save the sinuses and watching Annabel use sea water, I tried to exhale sea water through my nose. Just couldn't do it but it works OK the other way around. Might not be the best answer but it helps.
Aloha
Bill

Longfin, Erik and Bill
Thanks for the info. I 'll probably try the netti pot as I don't have any sea water around to snort. Wish I did.:mad:
Thanks again!

Caffeine is safer and wiser .Be sure Rolando I will keep your advice.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT