• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

equalising methods

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PaulD

Jan 30, 2004
Hi everyone, i currently freedive about 3 to 4 times a week and am at the stage where i feel it is becoming a bit of a pain to equalize using the old pinch the nose and blow technique. Some people i have seen can do it no hands and thats what im after. Can anyone suggest the techniques to do so and maybe some training advice for these methods, thanks

Last edited:
I hear you on this one. I recently got back into spearfishing and freediving, and my old hands-free snort and swallow technique I used when I was young doesn't work anymore. The standard valsava (block nose and gently blow) alone does not work for me either, but I found that if I protrude my jaw forward, it works. Also, as you'll often hear, equalize early and often. When I begin to struggle at depth, I'll try a snort and swallow as a last ditch effort. If that doesn't work, it's time for me to go back up, recover and try again.

PaulD,

There is a ton of stuff on this forum about different methods of clearing, Use the Search function. donmoore is a frequent and very knowledgeable poster. efattah's article is excellent. There's enough here to keep you busy for months.

Have fun

Connor

I practiced the excercises in Eric F's article for about an hour and a half, and I've had no trouble equalizing since. Before reading that article I was using valsalva, and I was unable to equalize deeper than 25 feet. I don't have the oportunity to dive in deep water often, but I recently did a dive to 70 feet and was able to fill my mouth completly at that depth. So I know I can equalize using Eric's technique to at least 120 feet or so, I assume deeper. Absolutely the best article I've ever seen on equalizing. Thanks again Eric!

Aaron

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT