• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Equalization Issues

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

roehm

Oct 24, 2015
Hey there,

This is probably one of the most common threads when it comes to asking for help, but as far as I could explore in other threads and on the web in general I couldn't find anything that really helped me.

So here's my problem. I can't seem to get my Jaw Extension (Voluntary Tubal Opening) equalize to work properly. For months I had no problems going 80-100ft down using this method and being completely hands free with my descent, just torpedo'ing down, this was favorite thing about freediving, but now I can't seem get my right ear to equalize with my left. This began happening after a month or so break from the water. I can still equalize while I'm going down there but I have to do Valsalva, and I'd prefer not having to bring my hand to my face so often as I go down.

I have a couple ideas as to why I am having issues with the Jaw Extension method. but I don't know what I can do to resolve any of these possible reasons for the issue or to even know they are actually the problem.

Possibility 1: Sinus Blockage

While I was on the break I had a bad couple weeks with allergies and my sinuses have never felt completely clear. I can feel it especially after a short period of freediving, neither of my ears will completely comeback to normal surface equalization after the days diving and I don't feel normal again until a full nights sleep.

If this is the issue how would I resolve this?

Possibility 2: Deep Wax or Gunk Build Up

My left ear just feels lighter and clearer than my right I think there might be some build of wax or other gunk deeps in my ear canal making softer equalizing like Jaw Extension more difficult and it results in needing a harder equalize pressure from Valsalva

Would I resolve this by going to a person who can clear out my ears with liquid solutions and tools? (i've tried Q-tips and they haven't done the trick)

If you can think of any reason this might be happening and any possible solution I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers,

Andrew

Ear doctor has many tools to clear the ear wax or water trapped. I like to visit once in a while to have him suck all excessive ear wax even I have no issues.

Sinus could also be the culprit. Imagine you have your tubes opened, but the sinus blocks the airway making the air flow way slower to one ear than another causing eq issue. Pushing air is a strong action so it works. Ever see those sinus spray scuba folks use when they sick but still want to dive. Give that a try.

I do BTV as well. The only times it failed was when some water spilled into an ear the wrong way making loud noise on equalization. If it happens I need to rest for 10-15 mins to prevent it getting worse.

I no longer push to equalize these days which I think it really helps keeping my ears in great shape. Once I have air my mouth, I open the tubes, leave the soft palate in neutral, then frenzel happens on its own.

Thanks for the reply Kray, I'll look into the sinus spray. I am still working on my frenzel technique I don't quite have it down yet.

don't overdo the btv exercise, once a day is fine, and none the day before the dive, let the tubes rest and recover.

Probably sinus related. Hands free has always been easy and natural for me and the only time it fails is if a tube is sticky from my hood or cold and I ride it, or sometimes if I have a bad sinus infection. I can seem fully recovered from SI but still have trouble clearing for another week or two.

Thanks for the reply @growingupninja

I haven't had time or the opportunity to test it again recently. Hopefully I can get back in the water here in the next week or so, and I'll keep this thread updated.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT