• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Equalization problems

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Joao Pedro

Feb 19, 2015
I have some specific questions related to equalization. Today, I went diving with my brother and I couldn't equalize. I had flu and my nose was a bit congestioned. I tried the Valsalva but I couldn't, but that was because I'm almost sure I did technique wrong (not blowing completely on the nose), anyway I tried a couple more times at all depths and nothing. So I decided to try the Toynbee manuever because it sounds simpler to me, just swallow. But nothing happened, no pop no nothing. I was affraid of hurting my ears with this numerous failed attempts, so I quit for the day. My vacation ends tomorrow, so I'll take it to surf! Planning to train this week on late night free time anyway I can so I can get the equalization right in next week. To conclude, i would like to ask some questions, and I appreciate any answer:

- Toynbee sounds simpler to me than Valsalva, anyone actually use it?
- The equalization on Toynbee is effective until 10m depths?
- Is possible to equalize with flu, nasal congestion?
- Is it risky to blow hard when performing Valsalva?

Please help me, I'm really hooked on spearfishing but if I can't solve this issue than my money on equipments will be lost, not to mention that i really really liked spearfishing world. Thanks in advance, have a great week!

I think most of your questions should be answered in the link below.

Aharon Solomons explains freediving equalization - Frenzel maneuver:

The video shared by Peter is one of the most clear and concise presentations of the Frenzel Technique..and it is very effective. But...the most important thing to keep in mind is that no technique works when you are congested. Many hundreds of articles have been written regarding equalization and diving. I would not allow my students to dive if they were not able to comfortable, and without forcing, equalize. You should never force the process, as this can lead to a number of different issues and injuries. Also, though you don't mention it, I don't take decongestants to dive, with the thought that though they will work effectively every time, that one time they don't might cause a reverse block...very painful. Modern anti-histamines do not cross the blood-brain barrier (DAN, 2001), but they can wear off quickly under pressure. While it seems to be more of an issue with SCUBA divers because of the duration of time they are underwater, always err on the side of caution. By the way, there are a number of ways to equalize....
  1. Equalizing Techniques
    • Passive - requires no effort
    • Valsalva - increase nasopharynx pressure by holding nose and breathing against a closed glottis (throat)
    • Toynbee - swallowing with mouth and nose closed - good for ascent!
    • Frenzel - Valsalva while contracting throat muscles with a closed glottis
    • Lowry - Valsalva plus Toynbee - holding nose, gently trying to blow air out of nose while swallowing - easiest and best method!
    • Edmonds - jutting jaw forward plus Valsalva and/or Frenzel (good method)
    • Miscellaneous - swallowing, wiggling jaws - good for ascent! (DAN, From the January 2001 issue of Alert Diver)

Sorry for posting only today.
Thanks, Peter123 very useful video!
John, you gave me awesome insights, thank you so much! Today I equalize sucessfully so I'm very happy that I made it...
Thank you again, this community helps so much the beginners, you have no idea!

Reactions: John B Griffith Jr
I have some specific questions related to equalization. Today, I went diving with my brother and I couldn't equalize. I had flu and my nose was a bit congestioned. I tried the Valsalva but I couldn't, but that was because I'm almost sure I did technique wrong (not blowing completely on the nose), anyway I tried a couple more times at all depths and nothing. So I decided to try the Toynbee manuever because it sounds simpler to me, just swallow. But nothing happened, no pop no nothing. I was affraid of hurting my ears with this numerous failed attempts, so I quit for the day. My vacation ends tomorrow, so I'll take it to surf! Planning to train this week on late night free time anyway I can so I can get the equalization right in next week. To conclude, i would like to ask some questions, and I appreciate any answer:

- Toynbee sounds simpler to me than Valsalva, anyone actually use it?
- The equalization on Toynbee is effective until 10m depths?
- Is possible to equalize with flu, nasal congestion?
- Is it risky to blow hard when performing Valsalva?

Please help me, I'm really hooked on spearfishing but if I can't solve this issue than my money on equipments will be lost, not to mention that i really really liked spearfishing world. Thanks in advance, have a great week!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT