• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Equipment for newcomer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

feign

Jun 30, 2003
I have recently wanted to get more into freediving. I have a lot of experience with swim/snorkel/scuba since I was a kid and feel very comfortable in the water. I want to purchase some true freediving fins as the open heel fins I use aren't that great. From what I understand the 2000HF are quite stiff. Is this bad for someone in my position? Would these be acceptable fins to get for someone learning? Also, I am interested in the suunto D3 - any concerns with purchasing from online retailer (There is a suunto dealer only 2 blocks away, but it is a lot more expensive there)?

Thanks for any input.

hi

I think The hf's would be fine but if you got the dollars go for the Gara 3000 ts supposed to be in between the Ld in Hf for stiffness. I went straight from normal snorkelling fins to Omer millenium comps and it never bothered me with the stiffness factor.

cheers

Thanks for the info Ivan. Anyone have any comments on my D3 situation?

Check if you're getting pc interface with the D3, i think that not all dealers supply it.

About fin stiffness, it really depends on your style and build, I'm not an expert on those things, but I advise you'll not aim for too stiff at the beginning. For example I think that Omer Millenium Comps would'nt be the optimal for most beginners.
Though if you spearfish, you might want to have something with more power on your leg.

which monofin?

Trying to find a monofin for a 40-50 metre diver. I am not sure if waterway or brier are the ones.
Any advice would help.

Feign, Im in pretty much the same boat as Ivan, I went from pretty basic snorkelling fins, to the Cressi Gara 3000 ones...

At first I found them similar to moving long planks of wood through the water, but after a few sessions, I wouldn't have any other fins, I love em...
Stiff?? I can't say, cause I haven't tried any other freediving fins, but Freedive Australia, where I bought them, said they were to be fairly stiff compared to the others...

hi

If you dont want to spend big $$ for the D3 and are only really interested in knowing how deep you are, you may want to have a look into the Casio marine gear watch. Use the search function and there will be a few threads about watches. I use this watch myself and its pretty sweet.

cheers

I just bought some Esclapez Black Aluminite Adjustable Strap Fins.
I thought they were going to be pretty stiff, but I was watching
them as I swam and they almost fold in half. I don't want carbon
blades because I'm afraid I'll crack them. Does anyone know of
an adjustable strap fin that is a little stiffer?

hi

Why do you want a strap fin, I always thought they were less efficient than a full pocket fin anyway ??

cheers

I use strap fins because I wear boots, because the water is cold.
The water below about 50 feet averages about 52F.

Have you tried dive socks? I use 3m cheapo socks w/ closed heel gara 2000's and they work great in low 50 water while I'm wearing a 7m suit. The reason why I went w/ 3m socks is because the fin fits great w/ the socks or barefoot.

Another little trick if you think the 3m is too thin is to have garbage bags on your feet (I use tall garbage bags to slide:hmm into my 7m suit and leave them on for the dive). these bags keep your feet dry and the 3m sock just adds a little insulation. Works better than it sounds i swear.:cool:

Last edited:
Hey ramstam,

I dive in even 40F water up here in Canada, and like you I always thought I needed thick booties and strap fins to withstand the cold. I wondered how the spearfishermen off BC/Washington use there freedive fins in that water (since the only neoprene socks I have seen in stores are 2 or 3 mm). Then I ran across the Picasso America website. You can get 3,5 or 7mm neoprene socks from this site. They also carry exclusive rubber top neoprene socks for grip in the foot pocket of a fin. The owner Roger is very helpful over the phone as well - check it out.

hi

Like they said go for full foot fins with 3mm socks, I go for Omer millenium comps with Cressi 3mm double lined socks :cool:

cheers

Ramstam,

I wear full foot fins and 6mm OMER socks all winter long, even under the ice. I have a seperate pair of foot pockets that are slightly larger than my summer ones to fit the thicker socks.

In the summer time I wear 3mm scoks under my full foot fins- even though the bottom temps in Lake Michigan were around 43 degrees when I was out there on Tuesday. Since the air is warm I have no trouble diving for hours in 3mm socks, and gloves, in the summer- my suit was still 6mm thick.

Strap-heel fins are not as efficant as full-foot models and you end up loosing a lot of energy in the process.

The socks that I wear are OMER's with rubber seals on the tops of them. I think that I paid $29 for them from Pirate Scuba.

Here's a shot of me and my "socks" just prior to a 3+ hour spearfishing jaunt this past winter. My feet never got cold. My hands did, but I have since switched to Picasso 3-finger mitts to solve that problem.

Last edited:
Hi Ram.

I'm a looong time user of the Esclapez open heel fins for much the same reason as you- the temp, though Dana Point is a whole heap o' warmer than Ft. Bragg.... I wear them primarily as my feet are size 13 US and yes, it is true what they say about guys with big feet... ;) So with the 5 mil boots and all, they're the only things that fit in a long blade and they work pretty well. I've broken some just from sheer work hardening of the plastic, but the price is right so I don't grip too much, though they have a habit of going South at the most inopportune times :head

If you also have big feet and like to keep them warm, they're about the best show going. Hell, they're the only show going!

I will admit to really liking my OMER Millenium Comps with less sock in warmer waters, ala the Keys. I do have a pair also that I slit and made holes to lace them up using a sock inside, then the fin pocket and another sock over the whole shooting match, but it's a pain in the ass and getting them off to make an exit leaves my skinny out in the impact zone too long, so they're primarily boat fins.

A trick I do to keep the piggy's warm is to wear cotton athletic socks, then the boots and then the fins. The socks take up some of the slack in the boots, trapping the water better to warm up the urine, er water that collects there. If this works for you, you might be able to swing a full foot fin.

Incidentally, I'm being provided some new fiberglass monofins and "stereo"fins for an evaluation that I'll print here on DB so stay tuned. These things look like the better answer to affordable and ding-proof carbon. :king

Last edited:
hi

Since when does Sven wear a mono :hmm Your not doing that up and down a rope thing are you mate :D

cheers

icarus, have you posted those new pictures yet?
I saw a few plastic monofins @ the local Sport Chalet yesterday.
I would wear one of them out in a day, but I was all smiles.
Great to see people use them! I'm sure the real ones are built well. They even had little ones for kids.

Nope. I've not received the fins yet but the manufacturer has said that they'd be in my paws by the end of the month. Stay tuned to see if they show and my take on their performance.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT