• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Equipment question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kickemall

Mar 2, 2006
I've been Abalone diving and spear fishing on the Northcoast of California for quite a few years now. Everybody just uses equipment from the local dive shops like - whatever mask fits, snorkels with purge valves, short fins, nylon weight belts, etc. How come you never see any of the more specialized freedive equipment used by any of the divers up here? I'm not a member of any clubs nor do I go to any organized events but I see hundreds of different Ab divers every year. Just curious.

Dave

i guess its a case of whatever works, will have to work :)

what depths do you get abalone in?

Anywhere from rockpicking (knee deep) to about 30' (Abs are deeper but very few people dive beyond 30' for them). Average is twelve to fifteen feet, seems to be where they are most concentrated.

Dave

Hey,
I just got an invite to go camping and abalone gathering for the first time.

I haven't seen many specialized divers, like food gatherers and hunters who have taken the time to train or use freediver gear. I know a lot of spear gunners who have no clue about proper freediving as well.

Also, most dive outlets don't offer the gear. Scuba is a bias, a perspective. I have a friend who just bought a dive shop in Fairfield. She knew next to nothing about freediving so I spent the last month educating her. Now she wants to promote and sell it as a subcategory in her store. The demographics are strong enough to support it....(she invited me to join her Scuba friends on the abalone camping trip and some chartered tank dives) Just got share experiences and be enthusiastic.

Lungfish

I think your friend would do well in her store with a free diving line. Divers are always looking for something better. All the guys I know are always trying different fins or masks thinking it will help them. I just received the Omer black package that is recommened on this board and took them for a short spin, what a difference in comfort and performance. I'm going to get laughed at pretty bad but I sure like the way it feels so far. You'll have fun with the camping and ab hunting, enjoy.

Dave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT