• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Equipment questions and checklist

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Toffee

Feb 9, 2021
Hi Im living in Jersey Channel Islands and want to start spearfishing this year, I have a few questions on the things I have been given and what I need to buy.

Things I have been given are:
Beuchat Marlin Carbone Elite 85 - Rubber has gone what are my options for this gun can I go two smaller rubbers to make it easier to load?
Riffe Mantis 5 Mask - Is this fine for spearfishing think it was bought for scuba diving?
Beuchat snorkel
Dive knife in plactic holder with clips

Things I'm gonna buy are:
Leaderfins black Camo Fibreglass bi-fins £113 - anything better for the price?
Epsealon Flat Board float -
Rob Allen Heavy Duty Float Line 10m - Will I need more line than this starting out?
Riffe Rubber Weight Belt with 7kg weight - Will 7kg be enough weight I'm 5'9 185lbs
Epsealon Shadow Wetsuit 5mm - 5mm seems normal for South UK
Socks & Gloves 5mm - Should I go for 3mm gloves socks?

Stringer
Various Clips for float

Anything I've missed?

Thanks for any help

Looks like a pretty good list. Fish stringer? I like the vinyl coated Rob Allen stringer with swivel. But there are cheaper options.

You might need a little bit more lead, depending on your body composition and how deep you spear. Less weight for deeper dives, more for shallow.

The RA Thai/ olive green polypropylene rope float line works well. 10m/30' will be ideal for shollower conditions, and starting out not sure if RA offer that length, 20m used to be their shortest length. You can also extend a 10m float line somewhat, in various ways, for example :with an RA or homemade thick-monofilament, 5m ghost leader, a bungee at either end, a speed stringer at the float end (about 2m?) and/or a reef hook at the speargun end (about 1m).

Alternatively, if you go for a 20m float line, learn how to shorten it. Take a look at Dan Man's video on it or Rob Allen's Shore diving video, both on YouTube. Alternatively make yourself a small wooden line winder, as I do.

If you weigh 185 lbs, 6 lbs with a 3mm suit is a good place to start without sinking too much. I use 10 lbs with a 6.5mm suit and it is heavier than I need in fresh water.

looks like a good list
see my responses in red

Beuchat Marlin Carbone Elite 85 - depending on the thickness of the shaft you may want heavy duty rubbers to propel the shaft
Riffe Mantis 5 Mask - Is this fine for spearfishing think it was bought for scuba diving? this should be fine as long as it fits well to your face
Beuchat snorkel - Snorkel just make sure its not one of those that close off to water when water touches the top you'll be fine
Dive knife in plactic holder with clips - a good nice easy and secure knief works great

Leaderfins black Camo Fibreglass bi-fins £113 - anything better for the price? i would go with leaders for that price cant beat them
Epsealon Flat Board float -many different options for this just depends what your comfortable with and whats within your budget
Rob Allen Heavy Duty Float Line 10m - Will I need more line than this starting out? it really depends how deep your going
Riffe Rubber Weight Belt with 7kg weight - Will 7kg be enough weight I'm 5'9 185lbs you may need more weight with a 5mm suit just make sure the belt is easy to drop if you run into trouble
Socks & Gloves 5mm - Should I go for 3mm gloves socks? depends how cold you get
Stringer - there are so many options out there you have the dynema stringers nylon stringers, wire stringers then you have all theses others on where you want to mount them on your float, or one for your belt or even a hard wire stringer its all on preference and whats comfortable to you.
Various Clips for float the more clips the better just remember what ever you attach to the float you have to drag around with you which can be taxing if your diving in strong current.

Looks like a pretty good list. Fish stringer? I like the vinyl coated Rob Allen stringer with swivel. But there are cheaper options.

You might need a little bit more lead, depending on your body composition and how deep you spear. Less weight for deeper dives, more for shallow.

The RA Thai/ olive green polypropylene rope float line works well. 10m/30' will be ideal for shollower conditions, and starting out not sure if RA offer that length, 20m used to be their shortest length. You can also extend a 10m float line somewhat, in various ways, for example :with an RA or homemade thick-monofilament, 5m ghost leader, a bungee at either end, a speed stringer at the float end (about 2m?) and/or a reef hook at the speargun end (about 1m).

Alternatively, if you go for a 20m float line, learn how to shorten it. Take a look at Dan Man's video on it or Rob Allen's Shore diving video, both on YouTube. Alternatively make yourself a small wooden line winder, as I do.
Thanks for the reply, I've added a RA stinger to the cart plus upped the float line to 20 metres after watching the vids to reduce it when needed.
looks like a good list
see my responses in red

Beuchat Marlin Carbone Elite 85 - depending on the thickness of the shaft you may want heavy duty rubbers to propel the shaft
Riffe Mantis 5 Mask - Is this fine for spearfishing think it was bought for scuba diving? this should be fine as long as it fits well to your face
Beuchat snorkel - Snorkel just make sure its not one of those that close off to water when water touches the top you'll be fine
Dive knife in plactic holder with clips - a good nice easy and secure knief works great

Leaderfins black Camo Fibreglass bi-fins £113 - anything better for the price? i would go with leaders for that price cant beat them
Epsealon Flat Board float -many different options for this just depends what your comfortable with and whats within your budget
Rob Allen Heavy Duty Float Line 10m - Will I need more line than this starting out? it really depends how deep your going
Riffe Rubber Weight Belt with 7kg weight - Will 7kg be enough weight I'm 5'9 185lbs you may need more weight with a 5mm suit just make sure the belt is easy to drop if you run into trouble
Socks & Gloves 5mm - Should I go for 3mm gloves socks? depends how cold you get
Stringer - there are so many options out there you have the dynema stringers nylon stringers, wire stringers then you have all theses others on where you want to mount them on your float, or one for your belt or even a hard wire stringer its all on preference and whats comfortable to you.
Various Clips for float the more clips the better just remember what ever you attach to the float you have to drag around with you which can be taxing if your diving in strong current.
Thanks for your reply

With regards to the shaft It measures at 6.5mm thick and 1200mm long the original rubber is 18mm thick and has plastic screw in caps and metal wishbone, I've marked on the gun where I need to pull the rubber without the spear in there and its not easy let alone being in the sea, is there a easier option so I can actually load the gun?

Thanks for the reply, I've added a RA stinger to the cart plus upped the float line to 20 metres after watching the vids to reduce it when needed.

Thanks for your reply

With regards to the shaft It measures at 6.5mm thick and 1200mm long the original rubber is 18mm thick and has plastic screw in caps and metal wishbone, I've marked on the gun where I need to pull the rubber without the spear in there and its not easy let alone being in the sea, is there a easier option so I can actually load the gun?
not a fan of the metal wishbone love my dynema wishbones felt lets chance of rubber slipping and slicing your hand open or removing a finger. if you could find it 6.5mm shaft using either a 14mm or 16mm bands should suffice if using double bands.

Hi Ive been looking at rubbers could I use a Rob Allan 16mm rubber on this gun or will it be underpowered from reading these guns came with 18mm?

Thanks

I would buy 3mm socks. If you are buying fins online you may have trouble picking the right size for sock's thickness combo. It is better if you do that right in the store, you may overpay slightly but at least you will be able to try fins with socks on. Also, depending on where you plan spearfishing, if it involves hiking you might need something worn over socks, like neoprene boots or at least cheap beach shoes. So that you can hike from vehicle to your water egress spot. If you hike with nothing but neoprene socks on, them socks will be chewed to shreds in no time.

You never mentioned dive watch. It doesn't have to be expensive gadget. Simple water proof watch will be a great improvement over having no watch at all. You need to keep an eye on tide charts and sunset/daylight times at least.

18mm rubber is a bitch to load, I am fairly strong and yet not ashamed to say this, because it is. So if you planning on retiring the old rubber band, see if you can switch to two rubber bands instead of one, and go with 16mm or even 14mm bands. Two 14mm bands will be a pleasure to load and way more power than one 18mm band that you currently have.

About switching to dynema wishbone - this is also debatable topic, there are pro's and con's to both. I personally prefer metal wishbones for they give me clear sight over the shaft, easier to aim the gun.

And lastly, I ended up having mesh backpack. Bare makes them, and not very expensive. Like I said about water egress spots, if they are far from parking lot you need something to haul gloves/mask etc, and think about load of fish, might need a small cart (ok, I am kiddin), but backpack might be worth it.

If you weigh 185 lbs, 6 lbs with a 3mm suit is a good place to start without sinking too much. I use 10 lbs with a 6.5mm suit and it is heavier than I need in fresh water.
3mm seems a bit too cold. Average water Temperute in south uk in summe4 is around 16-19 degrees C.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT