• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Eric Fattah's diet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
In Erics forum article he talks about a specific diet to improve performance. I remeber him talking about some special "shakes" in Miami.
Could he come on and explain them in more detail? Or, could he explain his whole approach to diet in general.
Thanks,
Jon

Reactions: Erik
Secret Diet

Hi Jon,

Of the many experiments I did over the winter of 2001, diet was one of the areas where I made great progress.

Many people ask why I haven't distributed a 'document' on this topic, like the equalizing document. Actually, I did write an 8,000 word document entitled 'In Search of the Perfect Freediving Physiological State.' It's main focus was diet. I distributed this document to a select few individuals for criticism. However, I specifically told those people that the info was not ready for general distribution.

My research was only pseudo-scientific, in the sense that over 90% of the results came from experiments on my own body, which are not necessarily true for others. Also, much of it was still in the early stages, even though it seemed to work. I'm hesitant to distribute something which isn't crystallized yet.

There are, however, several things which I can say for certain:

- What might obviously work, usually doesn't, and what shouldn't work, usually does (i.e. for the majority of people, drinking coca-cola before static actually increases their apnea time--why? I have some theories)
- What is good for recreational diving is not the best for deep record diving -- both of these activities require different physiological states, which in turn demand different foods

The problem of diet is actually two seperate problems.
- Problem #1: What do you eat for the 3-4 days leading up to either a record dive or a recreational dive (and what do you eat/drink in the 6 hours leading up to the dive)?
- Problem #2: What do you eat during the intense training, which could last for months?

Problem #1 is geared towards developing an immediate physiological state, as in reaching the optimum fluid level, blood pressure, vasodilation, metabolic rate, electrolyte balance and respiratory quotient.
Problem #2 is more geared towards how to build a better body, better muscles, better blood & myoglobin, a stronger heart.. etc..

Each of these two problems in turn can be broken down into many sub-problems.

I will continue research in this area again this winter, and after next year's experiments, hopefully I'll have more robust data, which can be presented to everyone.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Reactions: Stephan Whelan
I can have caffine before a feedive? I love it!
What are the basic building blocks of your diet? Is it based on veggies or does it include high/low carbs?
Are you allowed alcohol? Hoe many times do you eat in a day? I don't need specifics on what supplements that you mix into your shakes at this point. I am just looking for a general direction- if there is such a thing. :)
Jon

Well, that reply has piqued my curiosity even further.

Just to add my 2 cents worth of pseudo science, I've discovered that drinking milk or milk based products can cause my e-tubes to be harder to equalize due to phlegm build up (specifically my left). Same with really sugary products like donuts.
I feed a Cliff Bar to a friend of mine (its one of those energy bars for Rock Climbers) and it actually accelerated his heart beat... which in retrospect and reading the ingredients wasn't to surprising.

Though I've never really tried to seriously improve my static times maybe I should try an all cola diet? :)

I've also found that exercising vigorously the day before I dive makes it really hard to relax and slow my heart rate down.

Anyone else have any observations they could share?

Cragrat aka David Nesbitt
Ottawa, ON

HDS

Hi Eric,

Can you tell more about the hypothermic diving system? How cold water you have there in Canada?

Hi Eric!

"I will continue research in this area again this winter, and after next year's experiments, hopefully I'll have more robust data, which can be presented to everyone. "

we have been waiting for months to this and the end of the winter is coming.
;-)))))))))

tzuiop

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT