• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

EURO shaft on RIFFE gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rifmaniac

Jul 12, 2004
I'm having problems getting accessories for my Riffe :( ,
so I was wondering if a euro shaft could be modified so that it can get into the trigger mecanism

nope, the rife shaft has a rectangular ending where it locks into the mechanisim, the euro shaft is oval, so i doubt it would work....

of course it doesn't work; but i was if anyone of you modified the euro shaft so that it works

No one I know has tried - probably because it's not worth risking your life over a conversion like this. Another problem is that the top of euroshafts are shaved down above the notch(to allow entry into the mechanism) so that would make the area between the notch & the top of the shaft very small if you were to attempt a conversion. Also, if you don't have it done professionally, the right angle you create will be very weak & risky with the above shaved section.

If you're really determined to do so, get an extra long euro shaft, then cut in front of the notches, pin the shaft, & notch it as if it were a spear blank with a barb on it.

Check out this site for instructions on making your shaft from scratch:
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/spearfishing/speargun_shafts.htm

I was wondering what kind of shafts you have access to. The reason I ask is because I use a Riffe shaft in my blue water gun that has an Alexander trigger. I have also used square notch as well as rounded notch shafts in my 55 inch Wong with an Alexander trigger. If I recall correctly the stock shaft had a round notch while all the other shafts I have bought have had square notches. There have been times that I bought shafts from a local fishing/diving store and had to manually file down the top of the insertion part of the shaft to get it to fit into the trigger mech. Once they are filed down enough to fit without any kind of binding, they all worked even while shooting 3 mean green bands. Not really sure who made the shafts but they worked fine. I agree with Fuzz that a euro shaft in a Riffe would be dangerous but if you have access to a bench grinder and a drill press you should be able to make you own shafts based on you old ones. Try using tabs instead of welding on your own shark fins. By welding you will ruin the temper of the shaft and probably cause it to become very brittle. Good luck and dive safe.

Brad

I'm a little confused here and could use some help.

I recently bent the spear for my riffe euro 130, and am looking to replace it. I may be wrong here, but based on all the searches i've done here, everyone's riffe comes standard with a square shaft, yet mine which i got from the local dealer came with a round notch.. :confused: It's an issue because the only spare shafts i may have access too may be square notched (not sure haven't quite made it to the store yet)...

Everything on the forum i find raises the opposite issue, i.e. people with riffes wanting to use a round notched shaft

According to the Riffe website, the track on the Euro X-series accepts buth euro and square notch shafts. I presume that the trigger mech also will accept both, otherwise it would be no point in stating that fact. I think they use the same trigger in the Euro and Euro X guns. I have tried to insert a square notch shaft into my Euro 90-X and it seemed to work fine. I normally use a euro shaft.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT