• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Euro shafts on Riffe guns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rifmaniac

Jul 12, 2004
When buying my Riffe 3XS, I did it with the idea that Euro spears could not be used on it.
I tried a few times, and the idea was confirmed. That was 2 years ago.
Today, I tried again, and guess what?
The spears adapt perfectly!!! I tried pulling on them and couldn't get them out; and they gently jerk out when I press the trigger!!!
So before trying euro safts under water (with the bands) I would like to know if anyone else uses or has used euro shafts on a Riffe gun.
Is it safe?
Can't it damage the trigger mecanism?

Just tried mine to see, no mine wont load at all. I wouldnt be tempted, the riffe holds the spear in a different way to the euro trigger, locked rather than trapped; better safe than sorry, cost you more for a new trigger than a shaft ;)

Rifmaniac

The manufacture will probably condemned that (liability). I have done the opposite, I have a teak-sea (it has round end) and I currently using a riffe shaft. You could actually make it square by using a file.

Rifmaniac, funny you mention this. When I bought my only Riffe, a #3 Standard, back in 1991, I tried regular euroshafts, a 7mm X 150 cm Ujvari, in it and they held :hmm . Insofar as I've used many times, when a sliptipped shaft wasn't needed. Some years later, I mentioned that to Jay and he couldn't believe it. He said they wouldn't hold; not to be mention the liability aspects.

Strangelove (any relation to the infamous doctor, of Kubrick's sake? :cool: ), you're right about using American square notched shafts on Teak-Seas. It was the very first question I asked Angelo Germidis when I bought my Azimuth 120 as I didn't want to loose the shafts I already had. Indeed, 9/32 shafts will latch and hold in a Teak-Sea mech without modification. As for the 5/16's, you need to file off the tail a bit here and there. The very owners of Teak-Sea have done that; also they do recommend Kitto's Dyneema low-profile sliptip for their gun's shafts.

Ted
Rio

I'll probably follow STRANGELOVE's advice and square my shaft's end.
I'll use an unchanged euro shaft only when I've no other choice.

But it's quiet strange it wouldn't work 2 years ago, and just started working now; I even put a 6mm euro shaft on the Riffe; it does look funny.
I'm wondering; maybe something in the trigger mech gets used with the time??

Rifmaniac: it may have to do with some changes in the mech. Jay wouln't ellaborate in the subject for obvious reasons :confused . According to its serial number, my gun was made in 1989. Comparing mine with other Riffe guns made now, there are some major differences; price being the most notorious one ;) .

My trigger mech has the pin safety not used in the standard series anymore, and the stock seems lighter and isn't laminated. Maybe the latter's to blame for the crack that made me retire it from service :hmm . It may be nothing, but I won't risk having a stock failure, besides it gave me an excuse to finally purchase a new gun more appropriated to my specific big game hunting needs :thankyou .

Strangelove: a Carioca (Rio native) with that funky username living in Alaska (according to your profile). How weird can it get :hmm ?

Ted
Rio

Rifmaniac

I've notice many problems with euro shafts, some are made without a rigid standart, if you look at the end some round part in different location as well the different thickness on the section. The best way to get a shaft that works and try to match the end shape with a file. Sometimes I have to do that even for euro guns.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT